Intuition behind Cauchy–Riemann equations

• I
  • Thread starter themagiciant95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intuition
In summary: The derivative of a vector is the derivative of the individual coordinates. So ∂f/∂x = ∂u/∂x + i ∂v/∂x. And because d/dy (iy) = i, we have ∂iy = i ∂y. So ∂f/∂iy = ∂u/∂iy + i ∂v/∂iy = ∂u/i∂y + i ( ∂v/i∂y)) = -i(∂u/∂y) + (∂v/∂y) = ∂v/∂y - i ∂u/∂y
themagiciant95
I know that if a complex function is analytic , it means that i can reach the neighborhood of every complex point using a certain "stretch and rotation".
In which way this fact conducts us to the "Cauchy Riemann equations" ? What's the intuition behind them ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of an analytic function at a point must be a single complex number, regardless of the direction that a path approaches that point. So coming in from the x direction must be the same as coming in from the iy direction.

That leads to consider ∂x = ux + ivx and ∂iy = -i∂y.
f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y),
∂f/∂x = ux + ivx and
∂f/∂iy = -iuy +i(-ivy) = -iuy + vy.
Since we need ∂f/∂x = ∂f/∂iy, setting the real and imaginary parts equal gives the Cauchy Riemann equations.

Likes themagiciant95
FactChecker said:
∂f/∂x = ux + ivx and
∂f/∂iy = -iuy +i(-ivy) = -iuy + vy.

Thanks so much.
The last doubt : geometrically, why this partial derivatives have this form ? In particular why in ∂f/∂iy there is a i in the denominator ? It's the first time i see a partial derivative with the imaginary number i

I'm not sure how to describe it geometrically. The derivative of a vector is the derivative of the individual coordinates.
So ∂f/∂x = ∂u/∂x + i ∂v/∂x.
And because d/dy (iy) = i, we have ∂iy = i ∂y. So ∂f/∂iy = ∂u/∂iy + i ∂v/∂iy = ∂u/i∂y + i ( ∂v/i∂y)) = -i(∂u/∂y) + (∂v/∂y) = ∂v/∂y - i ∂u/∂y

I've tried to give a bit of a different explanation, better different representation, since the math is the same in here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/

Basically the Cauchy Riemann equations arise from the fact that ##\mathbb{C}## is a field, and as such more than simply ##\mathbb{R}^2##. However, we want to calculate and draw pictures with real and imaginary parts, which means this discrepancy between the field and the real vector space has to show up somewhere. ##i \cdot i## doesn't take place in the imaginary dimension, it leaves it and ends up in the real dimension - a property we don't have in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Therefore there is an inherent mixture which results in the Cauchy Riemann equations.

themagiciant95 said:
Thanks so much.
The last doubt : geometrically, why this partial derivatives have this form ? In particular why in ∂f/∂iy there is a i in the denominator ? It's the first time i see a partial derivative with the imaginary number i

up

A function ##f(x,y)=(u(x,y),v(x,y))## is conformal if its Jacobian ##J(f)## is multiplication by a complex number. That is: ##J(f)## is a rotation multiplied by a scale factor. ##J(f)## is then of the form

##\begin{pmatrix}∂u/∂x&∂u/∂y\\
∂v/∂x&∂v/∂y\end{pmatrix} =r\begin{pmatrix}cos(θ)&-sin(θ)\\
sin(θ)&cos(θ)\end{pmatrix}## from which one has ##∂u/∂x=∂v/∂y## and ##∂u/∂y=-∂v/∂x##.

If ##f## is twice continuously differentiable then the partial derivatives with respect to ##x## and ##y## commute and ##u## and ##v## are both harmonic.

If one thinks of ##u(x,y)## as a velocity potential then its gradient can be thought of as the velocity of a fluid in the plane. Since the Laplacian is zero, the flow has zero divergence and is incompressible. Since the flow has a potential, its curl is zero so it is also irrotational. The curves ##u=##constant are the lines of constant potential and the curves ##v=##constant are the stream lines of the flow.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I've tried to give a bit of a different explanation, better different representation, since the math is the same in here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/

Basically the Cauchy Riemann equations arise from the fact that ##\mathbb{C}## is a field, and as such more than simply ##\mathbb{R}^2##. However, we want to calculate and draw pictures with real and imaginary parts, which means this discrepancy between the field and the real vector space has to show up somewhere. ##i \cdot i## doesn't take place in the imaginary dimension, it leaves it and ends up in the real dimension - a property we don't have in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Therefore there is an inherent mixture which results in the Cauchy Riemann equations.
But, don't we have something similar with irrational numbers in that, e.g. ##\sqrt2 \times \sqrt 2=2 ## is not Irrational? Why don't we then have an analog in Real-differentiability? EDIT: True that Irrationals do not occupy a different dimension than Rationals; actually EDT Irrationals are "most" of the Reals by many measures, so then one can argue that they "go into nowhere" or something similar when they disappear this way?

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and fresh_42
WWGD said:
True that Irrationals do not occupy a different dimension than Rationals
Yes, we don't consider ##\mathbb{R}## or even only the algebraic numbers (Btw, do they have a letter? ##\mathbb{A}## perhaps?) as ##\mathbb{Q}-## vector space, at least not in analysis. I know you would like to!
I found @lavinia's explanation good, to emphasize that the derivative is a ##\mathbb{C}-##linear map. This is the point: it has to be complex linear and not just real linear.

WWGD said:
actually Rationals are "most" of the Reals by many measures
This statement surprises me, since the rationals have Lebesgue measure zero and are countably infinite -- far fewer than the irrationals.

FactChecker said:
This statement surprises me, since the rationals have Lebesgue measure zero and are countably infinite -- far fewer than the irrationals.
Yes, right, I meant the Irrationals. Let me edit.

themagiciant95 said:
Thanks so much.
Dividing by i rotates the vector clockwise by 90 degrees.

For every directional derivative one gets a rotation. For instance derivative in the negative x-direction is rotated by 180 degrees(multiplied by -1). What does this tell you about the complex derivative?

Last edited:
Indeed: The Complex Jacobian/Differential of an Analytic function , with entries M:= ( a b -b a ) acts like multiplication by a+ib , i.e., when you left-multiply (c+id) by M, you get the same as multiplying (a+ib)(c+id), i.e., you scale by the modulus and rotate by the argument .

1. What are the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of an analytic function in complex analysis. They are named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Bernhard Riemann.

2. What is the intuition behind the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are based on the idea that a complex function can be seen as a mapping from the complex plane to itself. The equations state that the function must satisfy certain conditions in order to be analytic, meaning that it can be differentiated at every point in its domain.

3. Why are the Cauchy-Riemann equations important?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding complex functions. They are also used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and solve problems involving complex quantities.

4. How do the Cauchy-Riemann equations relate to the concept of holomorphic functions?

A holomorphic function is one that is analytic in a region of the complex plane. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be holomorphic. This means that if a function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, it is also holomorphic.

5. Can the Cauchy-Riemann equations be extended to higher dimensions?

No, the Cauchy-Riemann equations only apply in two dimensions (i.e. the complex plane). However, there are analogous equations in higher dimensions, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations in n-dimensional space, which are used in the study of multivariate complex analysis.