Invariant mass problem, elastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conservation of energy and momentum in a collision between two protons. The participants consider using different principles, such as conservation of momentum and energy, to solve the problem. One participant suggests using the equation p0=2pcosα, but the other participant points out that the algebra may be incorrect. They also discuss the issue of introducing gammas and try to simplify the equations to get rid of unwanted terms.
Silicon-Based
f

Homework Statement

Question b:
proton.png

Homework Equations

E2=c2p2+m2c4

The Attempt at a Solution

We have c2pinitial2=E02-m2c4, and Ef2=c2p2+m2c4 for each outgoing proton. Combining those equations we get c2p2=Ef2-E02+c2pinitial2. I don't know where to go from here.

Attachments

• proton.png
    proton.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,209
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for part a) or part b)?

What principles are you going to apply in solving this problem?

PeroK said:
Is this for part a) or part b)?

What principles are you going to apply in solving this problem?
b). I would refrain from using conservation of momentum since that is specifically mentioned in part c (which I didn't include in the picture), and here it asks to equate the invariant masses.

Silicon-Based said:
b). I would refrain from using conservation of momentum since that is specifically mentioned in part c (which I didn't include in the picture), and here it asks to equate the invariant masses.

Personally, I would never not make use of conservation of momentum. If momentum is not conserved, then is there a unique solution? So, I would reason that you must make use of conservation of momentum.

In any case, what else is conserved?

PeroK said:
Personally, I would never not make use of conservation of momentum. If momentum is not conserved, then is there a unique solution? So, I would reason that you must make use of conservation of momentum.

In any case, what else is conserved?
When I use conservation of energy (Ef=(E0+mc2)/2) the algebra seems to lead nowhere.

Also, presumably, I should ideally not introduce any gammas.

Silicon-Based said:
When I use conservation of energy (Ef=(E0+mc2)/2) the algebra seems to lead nowhere.

It says the total energy of the proton initially is ##E_0##. Not the Kinetic Energy.

PeroK said:
It says the total energy of the proton initially is ##E_0##. Not the Kinetic Energy.
E0 is the total energy of the proton in motion, E0+mc2 is the total energy of the system, which is equally distributed between both protons after the collision.

Silicon-Based said:
E0 is the total energy of the proton in motion, E0+mc2 is the total energy of the system, which is equally distributed between both protons after the collision.

Yes, of course. Anyway, what happens when you include conservation of momentum?

PeroK said:
Yes, of course. Anyway, what happens when you include conservation of momentum?

I get results like mc2(E0-mc2)=2γm2cos2(α)c2, where γ is of the protons after the collision. But again, I should be able to solve the question without introducing any gammas, but I don't see a way to apply conservation of momentum without doing so.

Silicon-Based said:
I get results like mc2(E0-mc2)=2γm2cos2(α)c2, where γ is of the protons after the collision. But again, I should be able to solve the question without introducing any gammas, but I don't see a way to apply conservation of momentum without doing so.

Yes, don't introduce gamma. You can relate momentum to energy and mass without gamma.

What about using ##p_0 = 2p \cos \alpha##? That's what conservation of momentum in the original direction should have given you?

PeroK said:
Yes, don't introduce gamma. You can relate momentum to energy and mass without gamma.

What about using ##p_0 = 2p \cos \alpha##? That's what conservation of momentum in the original direction should have given you?

I end up with $$c^2p^2=\frac{(3E_0+mc^2)(E_0-mc^2)}{12-16\sin^2(\alpha)}$$

Silicon-Based said:
I end up with $$c^2p^2=\frac{(3E_0+mc^2)(E_0-mc^2)}{12-16\sin^2(\alpha)}$$
Obviously, that doesn't look quite right. I suspect it's just your algebra.

Did you square the energy equation? After that it should be a couple of substitutions to get rid of the terms you don't want in the final expression. Note that you need to get rid of ##E_0^2##.

PeroK said:
Obviously, that doesn't look quite right. I suspect it's just your algebra.

Did you square the energy equation? After that it should be a couple of substitutions to get rid of the terms you don't want in the final expression. Note that you need to get rid of ##E_0^2##.

E02 doesn't cancel due to the factor of two in the equation of energy conservation. Getting sine out of cosine messes things up as well.

Silicon-Based said:
E02 doesn't cancel due to the factor of two in the equation of energy conservation. Getting sine out of cosine messes things up as well.

You'll need to post your attempt to see where you are going wrong. I get the expression in the question, so there is no mistake there.

1. What is the concept of invariant mass in physics?

The concept of invariant mass is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total mass of a system remains constant regardless of any changes in the system's motion or energy. It is also known as rest mass or intrinsic mass, and it is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. Why is invariant mass important in the study of elastic collisions?

Invariant mass is important in the study of elastic collisions because it allows us to accurately calculate the total mass of the system before and after the collision. This is crucial in determining the conservation of energy and momentum in the collision, as well as understanding the behavior of the particles involved.

3. What is an elastic collision in physics?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In elastic collisions, the particles involved do not stick together or deform, but instead, bounce off each other with no loss of energy.

4. How do we calculate the invariant mass in an elastic collision?

The invariant mass in an elastic collision can be calculated using the formula m² = (E₁ + E₂)² - (p₁ + p₂)², where m is the invariant mass, E is the energy, and p is the momentum of each particle before the collision. This formula takes into account the conservation of energy and momentum in the collision.

5. Can the invariant mass change in an elastic collision?

No, the invariant mass cannot change in an elastic collision. This is because the total mass of a system is constant, and in an elastic collision, there is no conversion of mass into energy or vice versa. The particles involved may change their individual masses due to kinetic energy, but the total invariant mass of the system remains the same.