Inverting an Equation Containing Elliptic Integrals

• I
  • Thread starter diegogarcia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, you are trying to invert equations containing elliptic integrals, but you do not know how to do it.
diegogarcia
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to analytically invert this elliptic integral equation?
Hello,

For my own amusement, I am deriving the eqations for various roulettes, i.e. a the trace of a curve rolling on another curve.

When considering rolling ellipses, I encounter equations containing elliptic integrals (of the second kind) that need to be inverted.

For example, here is one such equation:

t = a * elliptic_e(u, E)

where a, E are positive, real contants and t, u are the real variables of concern.

(The notation is from Maxima: https://maxima.sourceforge.io/docs/manual/maxima_91.html)

In other words, I need to express u as a function of t.

Can this equation be analytically inverted?

For specific values of t, I can easily find a value for u by using a numerical root finding method but an exact, analytical answer would be preferable.

Another such equation is:

elliptic_e(u, Er) = a/ar * elliptic_e(t, Ef)

Again, I need to invert this equation to find u as a function of t (a, ar, Er, Ef are all positive real constants).

I know that the inverse of an elliptic integral is an elliptic function but I don't know how to invert these equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse of an incomplete elliptic integral of the first kind [itex]F(\phi, \alpha)[/itex] is an elliptic function. You seem to be dealing with the incomplete integral of the second kind [itex]E(\phi, \alpha)[/itex], which doesn't have that property.

Althougth [itex]E(\phi,\alpha)[/itex] is invertible with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex] for [itex]\phi \in [0, \pi/2][/itex] at fixed [itex]\alpha \in [0,1)[/itex], this inverse is not, so far as I am aware, tabulated anywhere or implemented as a function in a scientific library, so in practise I suspect the answer is "no".

Rather than using a root-finding method for [itex]t = aE(u,E)[/itex] for multiple values of [itex]t[/itex], it is perhaps more efficient to solve the ODE [tex]
\frac{du}{dt} = \frac1{a\sqrt{1 - E\sin^2u}},\qquad u(0)= 0[/tex] numerically. For [itex]E(u,E_r) = (a_t/a_r)E(t,E_t)[/itex] you instead need to solve [tex]
\frac{du}{dt} = \frac{a_t}{a_r} \frac{\sqrt{1 - E_t\sin^2 t}}{\sqrt{1-E_r\sin^2 u}},\qquad u(0) = 0[/tex] numerically.

1. What are elliptic integrals?

Elliptic integrals are a type of special function that arise in the evaluation of integrals involving algebraic expressions and trigonometric functions.

2. Why is inverting an equation containing elliptic integrals important?

Inverting an equation containing elliptic integrals can help in solving problems related to physical phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum or the shape of a planetary orbit.

3. How do you invert an equation containing elliptic integrals?

The process of inverting an equation containing elliptic integrals involves using various mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and series expansions.

4. What are some applications of inverting equations containing elliptic integrals?

Inverting equations containing elliptic integrals is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, where these integrals arise in the solution of differential equations and other problems.

5. Are there any special methods for inverting equations containing multiple elliptic integrals?

Yes, there are special methods such as the use of modular equations and the Jacobi elliptic functions that can be used to invert equations containing multiple elliptic integrals.