Solving an Investment Word Problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Elissa89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Word problem
In summary, the conversation was about a word investment problem that required solving for an unknown investment amount. The initial setup provided by one person was incorrect, and another person offered a corrected setup using variables. They then solved the system of equations to find that the unknown investment amount was $2250.
Elissa89
So I have an investment word problem that I have tried multiple times and have not been able to get the right answer.

"If Ben invests $4500 at 4% interest per year, how much additional money must he invest at 5.5% annual interest to ensure that the interest he receives is 4.5% of the total amount invested?

Here's my set up:

x= unknown amount invested
y=total amount invested

4500+y=x
4500(.04)+.055=.045y

I then solved for the variables and it was incorrect.

Help please.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Word investment problem

Are you sure the $x$ and $y$ in your first equation are in the right place?
Also, there seems to be an $x$ missing in the second equation.

Krylov said:
Are you sure the $x$ and $y$ in your first equation are in the right place?
Also, there seems to be an $x$ missing in the second equation.

I have no idea lol, the setup is what I came up with, we were just given the word problem. So I know my setup is wrong, but I don't know why or how to set it up correctly.

Elissa89 said:
I have no idea lol, the setup is what I came up with, we were just given the word problem. So I know my setup is wrong, but I don't know why or how to set it up correctly.

Hi Elissa89! (Wave)

We have:
4500 + unknown additional amount invested = total amount invested
4500 (0.04) + (unknown additional amount invested) (0.055) = (total amount invested) (0.045)
don't we?

With your x and y, doesn't that become:
4500 + x = y
4500 (.04) + .055 x = .045 y
which is what Krylov was pointing out?

Can you solve that system?

I like Serena said:
Hi Elissa89! (Wave)

We have:
4500 + unknown additional amount invested = total amount invested
4500 (0.04) + (unknown additional amount invested) (0.055) = (total amount invested) (0.045)
don't we?

With your x and y, doesn't that become:
4500 + x = y
4500 (.04) + .055 x = .045 y
which is what Krylov was pointing out?

Can you solve that system?
I got 6700 for total amount invested and 2200 for unknown additional amount and it's still saying it's incorrect (online homework program)

Could someone maybe try it and see what they get?

I would let $I$ be the unknown investment amount, and $T$ be the total amount invested, and from the information provided in the problem, we may state:

\(\displaystyle 4500+I=T\)

\(\displaystyle .04\cdot4500+.055I=.045T\)

Substitute for $T$ from the first equation into the second, so that we can solve for $I$:

\(\displaystyle .04\cdot4500+.055I=.045(4500+I)\)

Multiply through by 1000:

\(\displaystyle 40\cdot4500+55I=45(4500+I)\)

Divide through by 5:

\(\displaystyle 8\cdot4500+11I=9(4500+I)\)

Distribute on the RHS:

\(\displaystyle 8\cdot4500+11I=9\cdot4500+9I\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle 2I=4500\)

Divide through by 2:

\(\displaystyle I=2250\)

MarkFL said:
I would let $I$ be the unknown investment amount, and $T$ be the total amount invested, and from the information provided in the problem, we may state:

\(\displaystyle 4500+I=T\)

\(\displaystyle .04\cdot4500+.055I=.045T\)

Substitute for $T$ from the first equation into the second, so that we can solve for $I$:

\(\displaystyle .04\cdot4500+.055I=.045(4500+I)\)

Multiply through by 1000:

\(\displaystyle 40\cdot4500+55I=45(4500+I)\)

Divide through by 5:

\(\displaystyle 8\cdot4500+11I=9(4500+I)\)

Distribute on the RHS:

\(\displaystyle 8\cdot4500+11I=9\cdot4500+9I\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle 2I=4500\)

Divide through by 2:

\(\displaystyle I=2250\)
Ooooh...ok I see what I did wrong. Thank you!

What is an investment word problem?

An investment word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the amount of money that can be earned or lost through an investment over a period of time, taking into account various factors such as interest rates, initial investment amount, and compounding periods.

What are the key components of an investment word problem?

The key components of an investment word problem include the initial investment amount, the interest rate, the compounding period, the length of the investment, and any additional fees or expenses.

How do you solve an investment word problem?

To solve an investment word problem, you first need to identify the key components and gather all relevant information. Then, you can use mathematical formulas and equations to calculate the final investment amount or the total profit/loss. It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an investment word problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an investment word problem include using the wrong units, not considering all relevant fees and expenses, and forgetting to take into account compounding interest. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

Can an investment word problem be solved without using mathematical equations?

No, an investment word problem cannot be solved without using mathematical equations. These problems involve complex calculations that require the use of formulas and equations to determine the final amount or profit/loss. However, there are online calculators and tools available that can help with the calculations.