Is 1/x Integrable for f>0 and xf(x) Tending to Zero?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Palindrom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrability Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Palindrom
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
It started out as an attempt to solve a HW question (which I also posted in the appropriate forum), but now I'm just curious as to the general case;

Assume f>0 is a measurable function from [0,infinity) to itself. Then if xf(x) tends to zero as x tends to zero, there is a positive [tex]\epsilon[/tex] for which the integral of f over [tex][0,\epsilon ][/tex] is finite.

This is following the intuition that while 1/x isn't integrable, multypling it by anything that tends to zero is.

What do you say? True, not true?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/x isn't even a function from [0,infinity) to itself, never mind a measurable one.
 
Ok, one by one:

StatusX, 1/ln(x) doesn't tend to zero when x tends to zero, it tends to infinity... Edit: wait, it does, I'm an idiot.

matt - It's almost everywhere defined, what's the problem? Define 1/0=81...
 
Last edited:
Ok, why is 1/(xln(x)) not integrable?

Another stupid question, I answered myself... Thanks!
 
Last edited: