Is 3,4-dimethyl-3-propylhexene the Correct Name for This Organic Compound?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aisha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compounds Organic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
aisha
Messages
584
Reaction score
0
naming organic compounds help pleasezz

I need some help naming the compound below CH3-CH-CH3
|
CH3CCH=CH2
|
CH3-CHCH2CH3

The vertical line should be from the second Carbons not the first. I can't move the line to the middle SORRY!

The name I have is 3,4-dimethyl-3-propylhexene
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your name is close. I can see your six-carbon chain with a double bond, but I think you need to indicate where the "ene" bond is by a number... like how would you name just these nonfunctionalized alkenes:

CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 vs: CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH2-CH3 or: CH3-CH2-CH=CH-CH2-CH3 ?

Then I see your methyl groups and propyl groups and where you located them... but is your propyl a straight chain propyl or is it branched? And how is that indicated in its name? (each is indicated in a certain way).

Yeah for taking O-chem! In the days of bio-phys and nanotech, this is getting more important.
 
Last edited: