Is (a+b+c)2>0 the correct approach for proving a2+b2+c2>ab+bc+ca?

  • Thread starter Thread starter azizlwl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequalities
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
azizlwl
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement



a. Prove: If a≠b≠c are real numbers, then a2+b2+c2>ab+bc+ca
b. Prove: If a>0, b>0and a≠b, then a/b+b/a>2

Homework Equations


(real numbers)2>0


The Attempt at a Solution


a.
(a+b+c)2>0
a2+b2+c2>-2(ab+bc+ca)
Try to prove -2(ab+bc+ca) > ab+bc+ca but not true, -2.4 <4


Must be wrong approach?

b.
Same approach with same result.
a/b+b/a>0
Since a>0, b>0 =>ab>0
(a+b)2/(ab)>2

Freeze...no idea
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mod note: Removed quoted work.[/color]
Hello, Ahmed you're not supposed to give people the answer to the problem. You have to 'help them solve'. And by the way the first one you can do a proof by contradiction.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm so sorry, I am new to the forum and have only skimmed over the rules. Thank you for notifying me, I will read the entire forum rules so I don't make such mistakes again.
 
Ali said:
Oh, I'm so sorry, I am new to the forum and have only skimmed over the rules. Thank you for notifying me, I will read the entire forum rules so I don't make such mistakes again.

Ok not a problem.
 
Thank you Mr. Ali Ahmed.
I've racking my brain(old man's brain) to max. to find solution.
 
Lessons learned from Mr Ali.

1.
(a±b)>0 wrong
instead
(a±b)≥0

2. Many ways of getting a2, ab, b2...
My only way (a+b+c)2
but there are other ways
(a-b)2, (b-c)2,(c-a)2...

from lessons learn, now i can solve 3rd problems

3. Prove: If a2 + b2=1 and c2 + d2=1,
then, ac + bd ≤ 1

Way of getting ac, (a-c)2 ≥ 0
bd, (b-d)2 ≥ 0

a2+c2-2ac ≥0
b2+d2-2bd ≥0

a2+c2 +b2+d2 -2(ac+bd)≥0

-2(ac+bd)≥-2
Changing sense of equalityThus, ac+bd ≤ 1
 
Last edited:
Exactly azizlwl.

The main problem in math proofs is that you sort of have to trick the solution into appearing (which is usually not obvious). But maybe for future reference, if you ever encounter such problems again, the way I start is by coming up with ways of getting what I want (necessary terms, number, etc.) in the equation and then reduce the equation to its simplest form.

What might often happen is that the reduction turns out to be useless, so when I reach such a point in my derivation I disregard my last method of obtaining my necessary terms, and use a new one (if you are confident that you made no mistake in the reduction and you arrive at a useless conclusion, then start fresh).

But I understand where your coming from, I often go crazy even trying to solve the simplest problems.
 
Here difference way done by Dr. Mark.
a/b+b/a>2
Since both a and b are positive, multiply through by ab
a^2+b^2>0
a^2-2ab+b^2>0
(a-b)^2>

Then i asked him what is the difference and which is easier.
Here his answer


"Typically you start with what is given and derive a truth, but if you can start with the truth and derive what is given, then that is valid as well. Usually it is easier the first way, because you may not know what to begin with the second way."