Is a Bachelor's Degree Really Worth $66K at Age 25?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Education
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
KingNothing
Messages
880
Reaction score
4
"Education pays" on BLS website.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has this page on their website: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm.
http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.JPG
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Survey, 2010.


This just seems very odd to me. This says the median for a 25-year-old with a Bachelor's degree is/was over $66K per year. I realize this is two years old, but it seems just as odd for 2010.

Any thoughts on what might skew the data?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Why does that seem odd? Also, where are you getting the $66k figure?
 


First, it does NOT say that it is for 25 year olds. It says it is for people 25 and older.

Second, 1038 x 52 is about 54k, not 66k.
 


Pengwuino said:
where are you getting the $66k figure?

Jack21222 said:
Second, 1038 x 52 is about 54k, not 66k.

Whoops, sorry, I accidentally used the figure from the Master's degree row.
 


Any figures for average loan payments, tax payments and lost value of social benefits? I'm sure education does pay but perhaps less so then the above graph suggests.
 


I didn't understand what you found odd. Do you agree now that it is $54K instead of $66K? Did you find the $66K figure too high or too low?
 


I believe we have had these discussions before?. Try searching the forums.