1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is A Comeback Realistic? (Undergrad)

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1

JH.

Here's the situation: I started working on an engineering degree right out of high school but I left to pursue nursing after 3 semesters. After a semester in nursing I'm considering returning to the sciences by working toward a B.S. in physics, starting Spring 2014 (I need to give nursing one more semester).

The problem: I've been out of the math game for a while now, and I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to handle (mathematically) the classes that I would take my first semester back (classical mechanics, electromagnetic theory, mathematical methods in physics).

My mathematical experience: I took calculus 1 and 2 in high school (received AP credit), and then took calculus 3 (C) and differential equations (A) my freshman year of college. I also took calculus-based physics 1 & 2 (both A's). I've never felt like I was great at math, but I have always made decent grades, with the exception of calculus 3.

So, in short, it will be around 2 years since I've taken (or used) any relevant math when/if I start back with classes like mechanics. Can it be done? Should it? Has anyone else done it? Any advice is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

You know better than anyone how much you remember. Two years is not that long some people come back after twenty or longer. Just start reviewing and see how it goes.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3

JH.

Thanks for the advice. That's basically what I was thinking too, just start reviewing and go from there. That's my game plan if I decide to go this route. The problem is that I don't know how far back to begin, or even if reviewing on my own will be enough in the end. I feel like I would be starting from square 1, honestly. I know I've taken all the pure math that is required for mechanics, em theory, etc.; I just don't know how much I've retained, especially after two years without it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook