Is a Zombie Apocalypse Really Possible?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: So, a zombie apocalypse is impossible for a number of reasons, including the fact that natural predators would consume most zombies, temperature changes would destroy their mobility and internal organs, terrain would hinder their movement, humans are effective at killing, and their inefficient eating and reproduction mechanism would make it difficult for them to survive and spread. Additionally, depending on the definition of a zombie, they may also have deadly flesh that would prevent other animals from consuming them.
with the way most people act or treat other people you would think the zombie apocalypse had already happened

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Those who haven't read the novel are probably not aware the monster was, in fact, reanimated inadvertently by a magic spell, not scientifically.
Pythagorean said:
huh, always thought it was supposed to be scientific reanimation.
I just reread the novel and I was wrong!

Frankenstein had previously tried to cast spells:

V. Frankenstein said:
"...I entered with the greatest diligence into the search for the philosopher's stone and the elixir of life; but the latter soon obtained my undivided attention. Wealth was an inferior object, but what glory would attend the discovery if I could banish disease from the human frame and render any man invulnerable to any but a violent death!
"Nor were these my only visions. The raising of ghosts or devils was a promise liberally accorded by my favourite authors, the fulfillment of which I most eagerly sought; and if my incantations were always unsuccessful, I attributed the failure to my own inexperience and mistake than to a want of skill or fidelity in my instructors."

But there is no mention of these spells running through his mind later as he brought the creation to life. Over time, in the years since I first read it, I created a false memory of the attempts at incantation being linked to the animation of the creature.

Frankenstein refuses to tell his listener how he did it, but he alludes to galvanism and chemistry and secrets he, himself, discovered by observations of corpses in varying states of decay. It was, in fact, supposed to have been a "scientific" reanimation.