Is an R-Value of 0.93 Considered Strong in Social Sciences?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Correlation Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
qspeechc
Messages
839
Reaction score
15
Hello everyone.

I stumbled across an article in the social sciences that had a correlation coefficient of r=0.93.

Being from a maths background and knowing nothing about things like social sciences, psychology, etc., is this r-value in these types of fields considered fairly strong, strong, weak...? Or what?

Cheers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have two variables, x, and y, with a correlation of r, that means that r^2 of the variation in y can be explained by the variation in x. For example, height and weight have an r around 0.8 or so.
 
Haha, I know what the correlation coefficient means, I'm asking in the field of social sciences, psychology etc., is r=0.93 considered high? Mediocre? What?
 
It's high. It means that most of the variation of the y values can be explained by the regression equation. The fraction of variation that is explained is r2 = 0.86.

You should be judicious when drawing conclusions about relationships with a high r value. Two variables can have very similar trends even if there is no connection between them. The population of the Earth and the age of the Solar system both increase, but that does not mean that they are related.

I think it is reasonable to say that variation of y which looks random, but can be largely explained by variation of x is more likely to indicate a connection between the two variables.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: qspeechc
That's roughly the same correlation as the number of honey bee colonies in the US and the marriage rate in Vermont.

honey-producing-bee-colonies-us_marriage-rate-in-vermont.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mheslep, FactChecker, qspeechc and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
That's roughly the same correlation as the number of honey bee colonies in the US and the marriage rate in Vermont.

View attachment 211777
This is a good example of two variables with general downward trends giving a high r2 regression value. But it also shows a periodic component that looks synchronized, driving the r2 value even higher. This is where the scientist must be judicious in his conclusions. If he searched the world for something to match to the bee hive numbers, then he is bound to find something. If he had some a priori reason to relate bee hive numbers to the marriage rate, then this is some supporting information. (I can't imagine any a priori reason.)

PS. I wonder if the data shown is real or is fictitious to make a point?
 
FactChecker said:
I wonder if the data shown is real or is fictitious to make a point?

As far as I know, it is real. It is from the "Spurious Correlations" page at www.tylervigen.com. It has other great ones - "Divorce rate in Maine" and "Per capita consumption of margarine" at r = .9926.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker
If it's in psychology, and there haven't been replication attempts yet, I'd ignore it. There's something of a replication crisis still brewing out there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker