I use a Macbook Pro as my main computer and I am really happy with it. When I've used other Windows based laptops in the last few years, I feel like they just don't compare. Now that could be due to the hardware of the computer or Windows software, but regardless on the whole I prefer the way Apple laptops run. The user interface, the lack of errors seen too often on Windows based machines, the amazing trackpad - all of these things add up to a better experience for me.
That said, all Apple products are hugely overpriced and overhyped. They have succeeded in building an image that is so trendy that people are happy to pay significantly more for their products than similar products from their competitors. As others have noted, in terms of pure specs for Apple computers you pay a lot more for a lot less.
Hopefully Apple's competitors will continue to improve their own products and force Apple to either lower their prices or raise the specs for the same money. This has happened with great success with cell phones using Android software. It's clear from Apple's latest presentation on the new iOS7 that they are taking notes from Android phones. If another laptop brand can give Macbooks a run for their money then I would love to have one.