Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Is Biden's daughter's drug habits news worthy

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    The children and relatives of politicians have been catching the news for years.
    Billy Carter and drinking
    Ferraro's son arrested for selling drugs
    Bush's daughters drinking
    Palin's daughter and pregnancy

Now it's Biden's daughter and snorting cocaine

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03282009/news/nationalnews/friend_of_bidens_daughter_shopping_tape__161772.htm" [Broken]

Just because Biden helped make cocaine and smoking crack mandatory jail sentences, is this newsworthy. Personally I think all of the above listed items are just as much yellow rag journalism as is this latest item.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2
    People care enough for it to make the news.

Therefore, it's newsworthy.

Ah, modern journalism...

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Nice friend. :uhh: A house party is private and therefore not news, as apposed to, (as example only) a DUI that is public.

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4
    In his book Obama publically admits to doing this drug, and it seemed to be common knowledge that W had done so as well (there are some audio tapes, but just like his national guard service the issue has never been resolved afaik).

As much as it disappointments me that it is normal and acceptable for presidents to do hard drugs, and support hypocritical drug laws, I don't see why we should then care if the daughter of the vice president does so as well.

As for a comparison with the Bush daughters, I would like to see this as excuse for the media to compare and contrast the medical facts about the brain damage that results from cocaine and / or binge drinking. I think most college students (the ones who need this info) would be surprised to learn that both drugs can be quite damaging in a short time, and that there are scenarios where the effect of alcohol is more damaging in the long term.

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    Damn, cocane. That's some serious stuff.

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6
    Haha, that sounds like a line in an Eric Clapton song...

Edit: weird coincedence, I went to listen to Eric's song and from the youtube comments I found out and then confirmed that today, March 30th, is Clapton's birthday.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Mar 30, 2009 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Here's the NYPost article about the tape.

It seems that the guy was looking for $2M for the tape, but will now take $400,000. He also claims that he has some other juicy details he's willing to share if the price is right. Apparently he has a criminal record already, not exactly star witness material I'd say.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0328200..._of_bidens_daughter_shopping_tape__161772.htm

9. Mar 30, 2009 #8
    Although a house party is private, in this case it involves illegal activity. Also, she does not care about being filmed. The owner of the photos or videos is the person behind the camera.

10. Mar 30, 2009 #9
    Always remember that your transgressions of yesterday could be on youtube tomorrow.

Isabelle you are right on target I have always maintained that the only difference between hard drugs and alcohol is that alcohol is legal.

As far as if Biden's daughter's alleged drug use is news worthy, I think that the media tends to sensationalize the trivial while ignoring the real issues. If the allegation is really true you have to question the intelligence of the young lady. Do you really want to let someone film you committing a felony?

11. Mar 30, 2009 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is quite a recent phenomena where it has become acceptible. It started with Clinton and his half-admission about smoking pot. It was a big issue in the campaign at the time.

Now a lot of this probably has to do with the time period people grew up in. Before the 1960s, drugs were not very big or accepted in the US. Now we have Presidents and voters who are products of that first generation of drug users.

12. Mar 30, 2009 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I personally think Biden's daughter should be kicked out of office because of this.

Oh wait....

13. Mar 31, 2009 #12

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HUH? Are you serious?

14. Mar 31, 2009 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are some decent arguments to be made about pot not being more serious than alcohol, but hard drugs like coke (really bad) and crack (even worse) are in a different league altogether.

15. Mar 31, 2009 #14
    Yes I would hardly rate crystal meth and alcohol on the same level.

On a different note, I do not understand why politicians' family members are such hot topics. Quite honestly, unless it affects their (politicians) performance in office, I do not care about the lives of Bristol Palin, Ashley Biden, or anyone else.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  16. Mar 31, 2009 #15
    It comes down to character and leadership. If a parent runs a good household and instills good values in their children it tends to reflect in their childrens behaviour, generally (there are always exceptions). If so and so preaches x and their children behave in y, then the parents character tends to be suspect. Not always fairly but it's how we make tend to make judgements.

17. Mar 31, 2009 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the children share some of the blame. They have just as long to train the parents as the parents have with them.
    Babies manage to train the parents to feed and clean them on demand at all hours of the day and night so if children can't train their parents to be responsible members of society then I think it reflects badly on them.

18. Mar 31, 2009 #17
    I think that's true to a certain degree. Here, his daughter is 27 years old. Her doing coke at that age looks very, very bad in comparison to Palins young (and stupid) daughter getting kocked up. However, what makes Palin look bad is the fact that shes all against abortion and how teen pregnancy can be avoided by good family values. Obviously, they lack them. The same can be said of Bidens daughter though. And given her age, throw the book at her. She isnt a stupid teen like palins daughter, she's a stupid adult - which is worse.

19. Mar 31, 2009 #18
    If it was a sex tape...would it be news? Is the "evidence" strong enough to indict her? The PRESS didn't care that Obama said he "dabbled in drugs"...whatever that means?

The VP can't control (and shouldn't be held accountable for) what a 20 something does at a party. The story got 15 minutes...she needs to stay off the future campaign trail...now move along.

If it happens again...have Hillary tell her publicly that she needs to stop funding the Mexican drug cartels.

There are much bigger problems in the world.

20. Mar 31, 2009 #19
    Exactly, we have much bigger problems in the world. Do we want people of bad character making decisions concerning these problems? That's the dirt the media is throwing out there. If that's the worst thing, something no longer in Mr Biden's scope of responsibility, then we would like to think that he doesn't have some leadership detriments that will show up while he is in office (it's a stretch but the media doesn't care). As far as newsworthy, not so much, but for tabloids? They love this stuff.

21. Mar 31, 2009 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Fortunately we've dumped the last bad batch out of office.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook