Is bulk transport the same as vesicular transport in biological cells?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Asmaa Mohammad
Messages
182
Reaction score
7
In the biological cell, is the bulk transport the same as the vesicular transport?

I read about them separately and found that they happen in the same way, so I guessed that they are the same thing, or am I wrong?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Mostly the same. Bulk transport is the movement of macromolecules through the membrane, in or out of the cell. When endocytosis occurs (incoming) vesicles are loaded with the molecules. For exocytosis (outbound) vesicles attach to the cell membrane and the molecules in the vesicle get passed out.

So vesicular transport is in-cell movement, bulk transport is the entire process -
kind of like a shipping company(bulk transport) uses trucks (vesicles) to move items either in or out of the city using a common warehouse (membrane).

Do not overthink the analogy, it is just to get a feel for the slight distinction most often used.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asmaa Mohammad