1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is China a good place for research?

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone I'm a Chinese American and I love doing science. I've been learning Chinese to reconnect with my original culture but I'm wondering if Mainland China is also a good place to do scientific research right now too. Specifically I'm interested in the field of bio-energy and stuff.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure, I suppose it depends on lots of factors, one being your personality. Speaking for myself, I would not want to do research in a country with a government that has a very limited interpretation of freedom of expression.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    If you are interested in genomics, there is a lot of this kind of research in China right now. If you want to get a flavor of this, you might look at Steve Hsu's blog, he is a Chinese American physicist who has done some collaborations in China.

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4
    Interesting answers everyone thanks for posting!

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know at what point in your studies or career you are now, but perhaps a short research visit would be an option? If you spend a few months to, say, half a year there and you look around and talk with people, you might also get a good idea of everyday life. I feel that working in China wouldn't be for me, but perhaps it would suit you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook