Is Drinking Hot Tea from Plastic Cups Unsafe Due to Chemical Leaching?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spathi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
7 replies · 6K views
Spathi
Gold Member
Messages
102
Reaction score
10
TL;DR
...Besides that, it was found that the plastic releases nanoparticles into hot water:
I feel some strange discomfort when I drink hot tea from plastic cups; I prefer drinking it from glass cups. Maybe this can be explained that the plastic dissolves in hot water, and it is harmful for health?
If I am not mistaken, the syndiotactic polystyrene has a temperature of pyrolysis about 260 Celsius, so this is not the explanation. However, the polymerization in technology is usually not full, and the plastic cup can contain some remains of a monomer; also, as I heard, the plastic usually contains some additions.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924224419300354

Besides that, it was found that the plastic releases nanoparticles into hot water:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.1c06768

So, I think it is not a good idea to drink hot tea from plastic cups. Is this problem described somewhere?
Maybe I should had created this thread in other section? But one of my questions is related to the harm of plastic for the health.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Yeah, it appears to be a thing to avoid.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...risks-shows-study.aspx?utm_source=chatgpt.com

I tend to drink my tea from a metal LLBean camping mug. It retains the heat longer than a regular ceramic tea cup or glass cup.
You said camping mug I pictured this...


1733916108888.png



Also toxic heavy/reactive metals like Chromium, Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Nickel, Zinc came to mind.

Click on your LLBEAN and it is made of stainless steel so you are good to go! ;)






1733916019478.png
 
Attachments
  • 1733916000144.png
    1733916000144.png
    12 KB · Views: 111
  • 1733916076748.png
    1733916076748.png
    11 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Yeah, it appears to be a thing to avoid.
Yet from the linked article:
This study shows that careful consideration needs to be done before the promotion of replacements for bio-hazardous products and environmental pollutants. We have been quick to replace plastics cups and glasses with disposable paper cups
Plastics still seems to be way better than cheap disposable.
 
pinball1970 said:
You said camping mug I pictured this...


View attachment 354382


Also toxic heavy/reactive metals like Chromium, Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Nickel, Zinc came to mind.

Click on your LLBEAN and it is made of stainless steel so you are good to go! ;)






View attachment 354380
I started to worry a bit there but then remembered its stainless steel.
 
old thread, but I found this interesting as I've started to replace all plastic kitchen and eat/drink ware with glass, wood, ceramic, silicone and stainless steel.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
old thread, but I found this interesting as I've started to replace all plastic kitchen and eat/drink ware with glass, wood, ceramic, silicone and stainless steel.
A person I trust tries to avoid any situation where plastics come in contact with heat.

I have replaced my non-stick frying pans with a 10” carbon steel pan and a 12” cast iron pan. I have a cast iron because I want something with thermal mass although because of the weight, I got one of the lighter ones. The carbon steel is a Strata (triply ss-al-cs) which is really light and has even heating. I highly recommend it. I cook eggs in them all the time.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt