Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is every Toeplitz matrix invertible?

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Hi

Given a square matrix [itex]R_{X}[/itex] that is Toeplitz, is it necessarily invertible? I am not convinced about this.

In communication theory, a finite duration impulse response (FIR) filter in discrete-time is constructed for purposes of linear prediction of a random process X(t). The autocorrelation matrix of X is found to be a Toeplitz matrix and textbooks go one step further in trying to find the optimal predictor coefficients, by taking the inverse of this matrix, in a certain step.

I was just curious whether every Toeplitz matrix is invertible (apart from the trivial cases like the zero matrix, of course) or whether the invertibility is solely a function of the nature of the random process X(t).

TIA
    Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A Toeplitz matrix is one which has constant diagonals, correct? If so, then the answer is no, there are singular Toeplitz matrices. Just take one that is strictly upper triangular.

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks, and yes, I just discovered that the matrix that arises in the communication theoretic application I mentioned is not just Toeplitz but also symmetric with a nonzero determinant. So in that particular case, it is invertible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?