Is everything in the universe connected to eachother?

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of interconnectedness in the universe and whether there is a direct connection between all things. There is a mention of quantum entanglement and gravitational forces as possible forms of connection. The possibility of the entire universe being connected at an unseen level is also mentioned. The concept is compared to the double slit experiment and quantum nonlocality. There is also a mention of a book by David Bohm that explores this idea in depth. The conversation ends with a discussion on the definition of being "correct" and the potential for our theories about gravity to be incorrect.
PIT2
Is everything in the universe connected to each other?

For instance, is there a connection between my hand and some galaxy far far away?

Space news on Phys.org
Yeah... indirectly. So if you move your hand really really fast it won't do anything.

Tigron-X said:
Yeah... indirectly. So if you move your hand really really fast it won't do anything.

Are u talking about the speed of light when u say my hand won't do anything?

With 'connected', i mean more like a direct connection, like quantum entanglement.

I was talking in more practical terms since you can't move your hand that fast, not to mention that your hand would no longer be considered a hand at that point. But anyhow, you're connected by interacting magnetic fields of various scales. Even if you moved at the speed of light, the magnitude of energy you would have to disburse in order to get there would have to be greater than any magnetic field that stands in your way because otherwise you'll be absorbed. Meaning, you're connected, but your hand can't produce a wave length strong enough to reach that galaxy.

In retrospect, if you pictured an enormous amount of strings of different lengths and sizes [some very thick and some very thin] all entangled together in various knots on a single string that twisted every which way and more, you'd be like the size of a single stitch that a dust mite made if dust mites could stitch. However, you can probably invent a machine that can produce the power need to get you there at the push of a button, but that doesn't seem like what you were looking for...right?

Mach says yes. What's the current thinking on the Mach principal?

There's a very very very small force of gravity between your hand and that galaxy. Depends on your definition of "connected" and at what point do negligable things make connections. I got into a huge debate with my friend on a similar topic to this.

Jameson

"When to the new eyes of thee
All things by Immortal power
Near or far
Hiddenly
To each other link-ed are
That thou cans't stir a flower
Without troubling a star
... Seek no more
Pass the gates of Lutharny
Tread the region Elenor"

From 'The Mistress Of Vision - Francis Thompson

im a retard but - each object has a gravitational force - so logically the slightest movement of this force would have a slight effect on the next object and the next and so on and so forth. a good metaphor for what I am saying would be to call it dominos lol. you only move one domino yet all the others have a reaction.

izzie said:
im a retard but - each object has a gravitational force - so logically the slightest movement of this force would have a slight effect on the next object and the next and so on and so forth. a good metaphor for what I am saying would be to call it dominos lol. you only move one domino yet all the others have a reaction.

I guess this is true. I was wondering if there is a more 'direct' connection between all of the universe.

I am asking this, because sometimes people have a rare experience, in which they feel as if they are connected to the entire universe, as if their body and mind expand beyond the horizon. Some people say that these things are hallucinations, so i am wondering if this experience actually matches what is known about the nature of this universe.

If this experience indeed is compatible with the nature of the universe, then why would one consider it a hallucination?

Similarly, if one sees a car, and this car is actually there, why would one consider this a hallucination?

Depends on your definition of "more direct". All mass equals energy and all energy exerts a force. Your hand never "directly" contacts the keyboard because of the repulsion of the keyboard and your fingertips.

Last edited:
Cosmic interconnection

PIT2 said:
Is everything in the universe connected to each other?

For instance, is there a connection between my hand and some galaxy far far away?

That seems to be a current line of thought especially among David Bohm followers. Bohm wrote a book called "Wholeness and the Implicate Orde" (Very complicated with deep mathematics). He makes the claim that the entire universe is connected at some unseen level.

The idea that the universe was all connected before the big bang is widely accepted. The double slit experiment and quantum nonlocality also reinforces quantum interconnection.

Last edited:
Jameson said:
There's a very very very small force of gravity between your hand and that galaxy. Depends on your definition of "connected" and at what point do negligable things make connections. I got into a huge debate with my friend on a similar topic to this.

Jameson

That's only if were correct on our theories about gravity :)

So something is correct if and only if it is correct?

Gotcha.

1. Is everything in the universe connected to each other?

The short answer is yes. All matter and energy in the universe is interconnected and constantly interacting with each other in some way.

2. How are things connected in the universe?

Things in the universe are connected through various forces and interactions such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces act upon matter and energy to create the complex web of interconnectedness we see in the universe.

3. Can the connections in the universe be broken?

While the connections in the universe are strong and enduring, they can be broken or weakened through various processes. For example, celestial bodies may break apart due to gravitational forces, and chemical bonds between atoms can be broken through chemical reactions.

4. How does the concept of interconnectedness relate to scientific theories?

The idea of interconnectedness is a fundamental concept in many scientific theories, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics. These theories explain how the universe works on a microscopic and macroscopic level, and how everything is connected and affects each other.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding interconnectedness in the universe?

Yes, understanding interconnectedness in the universe has led to many practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. For example, the study of how different systems in the human body are connected has led to advances in medical treatments, and understanding the interconnectedness of ecosystems has helped with conservation efforts.