1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is freezing point always depressed by a solute?

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the freezing point always depressed by a solute even if solute-solvent interactions are stronger than solute-solute and solvent-solvent interaction? What about amorphous solids?

2. Relevant knowledge
    According to my chemistry teacher's powerpoints, the freezing point is always depressed by the presence of a solute because the solute particles disrupt the lattice structure of the solid.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus, the solution remains liquid at lower than normal temperatures due to the added difficulty of forming the solid structure. The stronger solute-solvent interactions add to this disorder.

In amorphous solids where there is little/no organized set structure to speak of, I don't know how solute particles would interfere unless the solute forms its own competing structure as a solid. Otherwise, I'm in the dark.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Amorphous solids don't have a freezing point.

4. Oct 29, 2015 #3
    Do amorphous solids not have changes of state?

5. Oct 29, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not at a constant temperature. Google vitrification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted