Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Hell exothermic or endothermic?

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that hell is not "neither".

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2
    I am assuming you saw the picture of the kid explaining why hell was endothermic because a girl slept with him?

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

No...

I heard the question in a chemistry class on Friday. Our teacher told us he'd give us the answer after spring break. I'd like to surprise him.

Prove: The set of all days that contain the task "School" is less exciting than the set of all days that contain the task "Spring Break".

There's your assignment, math people!

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4
    http://www.pinetree.net/humor/thermodynamics.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 28, 2010 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Counterexample. I broke my arm, suffered a concussion, and almost committed suicide during the spring break.

7. Mar 29, 2010 #6
    People go to hell, and stay there for eternity, seems like a simple deal, nay?

8. Mar 29, 2010 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He didn't deserve an A.

1) The story is a myth

2) Souls have no mass (well, except for Catholic souls*, but that's a small subset of the human population when compared to every soul that has existed since the beginning of time).

3) There's no conclusive proof that souls can't leave hell after they've served whatever penance is due for their sins. In fact, some religions believe a person can eventually be forgiven for their sins.

4) Even if souls did have mass, the only thing that can be determined by Theresa Manyan's statement is that the temperature hasn't dropped to the "cold" range, yet.

4a) Theresa Manyan is definitely going to hell, where her punishment will be to be hit upon constantly by Tim Graham (the most obnoxious geek in the Oklahoma School of Engineering). The only bright side is that, someday, Theresa Manyan will pay the ultimate price for her sins and, when she does, her slate will be wiped clean, making her stay in hell merely temporary. (In other words, hers will be one of the souls that leave hell.)

4b) Theresa Manyan is definitely going to hell, where her punishment will be to have sex with Tim Graham (the most obnoxious geek in the Oklahoma School of Engineering) for eternity because her soul is never leaving hell. This will only be possible if hell is expanding at a faster rate than souls can be deposited. Considering the size of the universe compared to the size of Earth, it's entirely reasonable to assume a similarly sized hell (i.e. - infinite), in which case the rising population of a planet the size of Earth is trivial - especially when you consider that no star or planet can live forever, let alone the population of a planet. In other words, the current rate of population growth is only temporary and will soon be countered by a massive and rapid decrease in population.

4c) Irrelevant since there is no way that b- Theresa Manyan is not going to hell. (but I'm not bitter - really)

* - Merely a bad pun. In reality, the official position of the Catholic church is that souls have no mass, nor do Heaven or Hell have a location in the physical universe. They exist in a vacuum where no matter exists.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Apr 5, 2010 #8
    Exothermic because souls are being perpetually combusted

10. Apr 5, 2010 #9
    Lol, I liked that essay answer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook