Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is independence indpendent on measure?

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    Is it possible that 2 sigma-algebras could be independent under one measure but not independent under another?

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey tunaaa and welcome to the forums.

I don't know much about measure theory so maybe you could give us the definition of independence for a measure. I've heard about decomposing measures into orthogonal parts but I don't think this is what you are asking about.

4. May 26, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

He probably means independence wrt a probability measure. This is defined as follows: take a probability space [itex](\Omega,\mathcal{F},P)[/itex] and take [itex]\mathcal{B}_1[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{B}_2[/itex] sigma-algebra's which are part of [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex]. They are independent if for every [itex]B_1\in \mathcal{B}_1[/itex] and [itex]B_2\in \mathcal{B}_2[/itex] holds that

[tex]P(B_1\cap B_2)=P(B_1)P(B_2)[/tex]

Like the definition suggests, the measure P is critical here. If we have another measure on [itex](\Omega,\mathcal{F}[/itex], then independence must not hold.

For example, look at [itex](\Omega,\mathcal{F})=(\mathbb{N},\mathcal{P} (\mathbb{N}))[/itex] and take [itex]P_1[/itex] uniquely defined by [itex]P_1(\{0\})=1[/itex]. Further, take [itex]P_2[/itex] uniquely define by [itex]P_2(\{0\})=P_2(\{1\})=1/2[/itex].

Then {0} and {1} (which generate sigma-algebras) are independent for [itex]P_1[/itex], but dependent for [itex]P_2[/itex].

5. May 26, 2012 #4
    Many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook