Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is is possible to learn second-order DE before first-order?

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    My professor is complaining that the university is forcing her to skip over first-order DE.

We very briefly learned first-order DE in a Calculus class.

Does learning second-order DE rely on previous knowledge from first-order DE? The reason I am asking is because my time is limited.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Learning about 1st order DEs shouldn't take too long ( Depending on how in depth you want to go ). Knowing how to separate variables, use integrating factors and use substitutions should be enough to give you a feel of 1st order DEs; if your time is as limited as you claim.

Second order DEs are completely different ( Though some can be turned into a first order DE ). You don't really need to know first orders to be able to do them, but I feel that would hurt the learning process personally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook