First order system DE -> second order

In summary, to find a second-order DE for x alone that is equivalent to the given system, you can solve the second equation for y and substitute it into the first equation. Then, differentiate the first equation and use the second to eliminate y. This results in a second-order DE of \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = 2\frac{dx}{dt}+x.
tourjete
first order system DE --> second order

Homework Statement

Find a second-order DE for x alone that is equivalent to this system.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = 2x-y

dy/dt = -x

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no clue where to start; in class we pretty much only stuck to springs when discussing second order equations.

Do I have to integrate the two given equations with respect to t so I have the t's in the equation? Or should I differentiate so I have a second derivative and hence a second order equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not that complicated. For example, just solve the second equation for x and substitute that into the first equation.

You can differentiate the first equation and then use the 2nd to eliminate y.

Thanks guys! I did what fzero sugested and just want to make sure I did it right. I solved the second equation for y so I could eliminate it from the other one and got y = -xt.

I then plugged that into the first equation to get dx/dt = 2x + xt + C. Differentiating with respect to t i gotthat the second derivative is x + C. Is this right? It seems simplistic given the derivatves that were given.

What I meant was take the derivative of the first equation to get

[tex] \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = 2\frac{dx}{dt}-\frac{dy}{dt}, [/tex]

then use the 2nd to write this as

[tex] \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = 2\frac{dx}{dt}+x. [/tex]

1. What is a first order system differential equation?

A first order system differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves only the first derivative of the unknown function. It can be written in the form of dy/dt = f(t,y), where y is the unknown function and f(t,y) is a function of t and y.

2. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves the second derivative of the unknown function. It can be written in the form of d^2y/dt^2 = f(t,y), where y is the unknown function and f(t,y) is a function of t and y.

3. How do you convert a first order system differential equation to a second order differential equation?

To convert a first order system differential equation to a second order differential equation, you can use the substitution method. This involves introducing a new variable, usually denoted by z, and replacing the first derivative of y with z. Then, you can solve for z and substitute it back into the original equation to get a second order differential equation.

4. What is the purpose of converting a first order system differential equation to a second order differential equation?

Converting a first order system differential equation to a second order differential equation can make it easier to solve, especially if the equation is nonlinear. It can also help to better understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of first order system differential equations converted to second order differential equations?

First order system differential equations converted to second order differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems such as oscillating springs, electrical circuits, and mechanical systems. They are also used in economics and biology to study population dynamics and growth.