Is Isopropyl Alcohol Safe for Ingestion and Use on Surfaces?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Matt204823545
Messages
18
Reaction score
5
TL;DR
Is it safe to use it everywhere?
I bought a can of soft drink and was wondering whether I should spray 100% isopropyl on it before putting my mouth on it to drink. I did spray and it smelt bad but I wiped it off and drank the can. Is that unsafe or is it the opposite, safer than drinking without spraying? Would it kill corona virus? If I ingested some of the alcohol (didn't wipe off all of it) is it harmful?

I used this: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/3m-isopropyl-alcohol-surface-prep---125ml/347001.html
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Isopropyl alcohol is safe and effective as an antibacterial and antiviral agent, but don't drink it, inhale it much, or get it in your eyes ##-## its vapor is flammable, and it evaporates completely without leaving residue (other than perhaps something that might have been dissolved in it) ##-## oral ingestion of a small (e.g. < 1cc) amount won't harm you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27, berkeman, Matt204823545 and 2 others
Yes, 100% isopropyl alcohol will kill the coronavirus. Let it evaporate completely before drinking, so that it has time to kill the virus (about 30 seconds will reduce it by more than a 1000 times), and so that you don't drink it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, Matt204823545 and sysprog
Thanks guys!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and sysprog
sysprog said:
its vapor is flammable
Yeah, if you are barbecuing or sitting around a campfire, keep the alcohol-based sanitizer well away from the flames, and be sure your hands are completely dry/evaporated before getting anywhere near the flames. Your Public Service Announcement for the day... :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog