Is it a good idea to connect concepts through dependency relations?

In summary: Your thoughts: the school curriculum has omitted a lot of things to understand many concepts and I am filling the...That is correct. The curriculum often provides a shallow understanding of a concept. In this way, people can be misled into thinking that they don't need to learn more.The curriculum often provides a shallow understanding of a concept. In this way, people can be misled into thinking that they don't need to learn more.I have found out that it provides an overview like the tech tree in Sid Meier's Civilization.That is a good idea.
GrimPixel
When I learn a concept, I often find that to understand it, I have to learn some other concepts and I don't know if they also require learning new concepts. During this procedure, I find learning frustrating, as the teacher always presume that I should have learned them.

So I think I can build a database for this: select which concepts I have already learned and select the concepts required in the lecture, then it returns which concepts I need to learn first, which second, and so on, a clear path.

I have been trying to build this. How do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should give some examples of what you are talking about.

Is it like the dependence of some biological functions on underlying chemistry?

BillTre said:
You should give some examples of what you are talking about.

Is it like the dependence of some biological functions on underlying chemistry?
Thanks for point that out.

Here are examples:
* ‘equation’, ‘coefficient’ are dependencies for ‘linear equation’
* ‘area’, ‘triangle (shape)’ are dependencies for ‘Heron's formula’
* ‘equation of state’, ‘ideal gas’ are dependencies for ‘ideal gas law’
* ‘electromagnetic induction’ is the dependency for ‘Lenz's law’

Last edited:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

GrimPixel said:
* ‘linear equation’
* ‘Heron's formula’
* ‘ideal gas law’
* ‘Lenz's law’
For me, each of those elicits a mental picture of the equation or type of equation, not related concepts. Have you tried associating the mental picture of the equation with concepts like those, instead of trying to picture associative relationships?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:For me, each of those elicits a mental picture of the equation or type of equation, not related concepts. Have you tried associating the mental picture of the equation with concepts like those, instead of trying to picture associative relationships?
Thanks.

Yes, I know mental pictures and I can do. I practise meditation.

I think the relations among concepts can be charted like an atlas and this can guide people towards their destination. I am considering creating a graph: each concept is a vertex and their dependency relations the edges.

Are you familiar with the organization of the Hyperphysics website? There are a number of directed graphs there...

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
Are you familiar with the organization of the Hyperphysics website? There are a number of directed graphs there...
Oh, that looks good, but it is different from what I am thinking about. Hyperphisics is a course arranged in the form of graphs. My idea is the connection of tens of thousands of concepts in science and technology in one graph.

At least for me, your paradigm seems unnecessarily complicated. But if it helps you, it may help other people. It would be good for you to study how people learn in different ways, to see if that helps you plan out your graphs. What teaching/learning resources have you found that explore the different ways that people typically learn? Can you name the 3 ways that are typically cited? :smile:

https://abclifeliteracy.ca/blog-posts/the-three-different-ways-that-adults-learn/

GrimPixel said:
When I learn a concept, I often find that to understand it, I have to learn some other concepts and I don't know if they also require learning new concepts. During this procedure, I find learning frustrating, as the teacher always presume that I should have learned them.

So I think I can build a database for this: select which concepts I have already learned and select the concepts required in the lecture, then it returns which concepts I need to learn first, which second, and so on, a clear path.

The concept is often called "Prerequisites", but you might be trying to look at finer dependencies.

GrimPixel said:
Thanks for point that out.

Here are examples:
* ‘equation’, ‘coefficient’ are dependencies for ‘linear equation’
* ‘area’, ‘triangle (shape)’ are dependencies for ‘Heron's formula’
* ‘equation of state’, ‘ideal gas’ are dependencies for ‘ideal gas law’
* ‘electromagnetic induction’ is the dependency for ‘Lenz's law’
Most of that is PREREQUISITES, without a doubt.

berkeman said:
At least for me, your paradigm seems unnecessarily complicated. But if it helps you, it may help other people. It would be good for you to study how people learn in different ways, to see if that helps you plan out your graphs. What teaching/learning resources have you found that explore the different ways that people typically learn? Can you name the 3 ways that are typically cited? :smile:

https://abclifeliteracy.ca/blog-posts/the-three-different-ways-that-adults-learn/
I know how to learn in those ways. That was taught by my primary school teacher.

I have been doing it for months. It is a repetition of what I have learned and discovery of what I haven't learned. I have found out that it provides an overview like the tech tree in Sid Meier's Civilization. My thoughts: the school curriculum has omitted a lot of things to understand many concepts and I am filling the hole.

• Skeptical
Likes symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
Most of that is PREREQUISITES, without a doubt.
Yes, I know. It is just similar to ‘dependency’ in computer science. I know it is called PREREQUISITES.

Okay, it is good that you are trying to provide options to improve the educational process. What educational peer-reviewed journals to you read regularly? That will help you to learn what the state of the art is in educational approaches, and when you are ready to publish your research on your approach, that is likely where you will submit your article.

berkeman said:
Okay, it is good that you are trying to provide options to improve the educational process. What educational peer-reviewed journals to you read regularly? That will help you to learn what the state of the art is in educational approaches, and when you are ready to publish your research on your approach, that is likely where you will submit your article.
I am sure you can find articles to help yourself. It is not available for everyone to publish, especially those who haven't learned pedagogy and who don't have the connections in the field. So it is guaranteed that you would be disappointed.

GrimPixel said:

What are you really asking? If this is not about prerequisites skills and knowledge then what you want is obscure.

1. What are dependency relations in the context of connecting concepts?

Dependency relations refer to the relationships between different concepts or ideas, where one concept is dependent on another for its meaning or existence. This means that the understanding of one concept is necessary for the understanding of the other.

2. How does connecting concepts through dependency relations benefit scientific research?

Connecting concepts through dependency relations can help to create a more comprehensive understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon. By identifying and linking concepts that are dependent on each other, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms and connections within their research.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to connecting concepts through dependency relations?

One potential drawback is that it can be difficult to accurately identify and establish dependency relations between concepts. This can lead to misunderstandings or incorrect assumptions about the relationships between different concepts. Additionally, overly complex dependency networks can be challenging to interpret and may hinder the clarity of the research.

4. How can scientists determine which concepts are dependent on each other?

Determining dependency relations between concepts requires careful analysis and consideration of the relationships between ideas. This can involve conducting literature reviews, consulting with experts in the field, and conducting experiments or studies to test the connections between concepts.

5. Can dependency relations change over time?

Yes, dependency relations between concepts can change as new information and research becomes available. As scientific understanding evolves, the relationships between concepts may shift or new dependencies may be identified. It is important for scientists to continually reassess and update their understanding of dependency relations in their research.