Is it ethical to anthropomorphize animals and keep them as pets?

• Thread starter wannab
  • Start date
In summary, dogs have been companion animals and hunting partners for thousands of years. They are sad when their owners leave and happy when they return.
wannab
Most dogs would be running across continents and looking after their own litters, not running around gardens and fields looking after their plastic toys. Don't you think it's cruel to confine animals to such small living environments?

We're essentially kidnapping them (and often castrating/spaying them) and abusing their natural instinct to seek security in the creature that feeds them, which should (in nature) be their mother or the pack.

How would we feel if an alien race came down, killed all of the humans they deemed threatening, took the weak ones and bred them for their own needs, then much later using their existences as emotional crutches and denying them the freedom to choose outside of an environment they can't comprehend?

Physics news on Phys.org
wannab said:
Most dogs would be running across continents and looking after their own litters, not running around gardens and fields looking after their plastic toys. Don't you think it's cruel to confine animals to such small living environments?

We're essentially kidnapping them (and often castrating/spaying them) and abusing their natural instinct to seek security in the creature that feeds them, which should (in nature) be their mother or the pack.

How would we feel if an alien race came down, killed all of the humans they deemed threatening, took the weak ones and bred them for their own needs, then much later using their existences as emotional crutches and denying them the freedom to choose outside of an environment they can't comprehend?
I recommend that one compare the lives of feral dogs and cats with those of domestic ones. One will likely find that pets have a much better quality of life, e.g., less disease and greater longevity than their feral counterparts.

We've domesticated cats and dogs over a long period - thousands of years.

Some time ago, there was an outbreak of distemper in lions in a certain part of Africa. It turned out that the lions caught it from hyenas, who got if from eating infected dogs from nearby villages. Sick dogs are an easy meal for hyenas. The other part of the story involves ticks with Babesia.

I found our youngest cat as a kitten (~7-8 weeks) under the front porch. She was weighed less than 1 kg (~2 lbs) and loaded with ticks and fleas, and had we not found her, she probably would not have survived.

It's not cruel to keep dogs as long as they are fed and exercised properly. Cats just use you anyway, if the grubs better at the neighbours they will go live there. I believe keeping caged animals is cruel. I've done it, but not out of my own choice.

My parents keep indoor/outdoor cats. They are free to leave and not come back. They rarely do.

cobalt124 said:
Cats just use you anyway, if the grubs better at the neighbours they will go live there.

Some, for sure, but not all. I adopted Lucy when she was 3, and she's now 16. Two of my hospitalizations (2 years ago and again last November) were for 3 weeks. She lacked nothing, as my neighbour fed and watered her every day. When I returned, she stuck to me like a burr for at least a week and a half, purring and licking like crazy, until she was fairly sure that I was staying. Ever since, she comes and sits with me, or sleeps with me if I'm in bed, at least every couple of hours. She even sits on the ledge beside the toilet when I'm in there. She used to spend a fair bit of time with me, but not to that extent by any means. That's genuine affection.

wannab said:
I think as far as cats and dogs and horses go, the damage has been done, and there's no going back. Hogs seem to have no problem going feral and thriving, but the others, not.

I suppose the only thing to be done is to do our best to prevent people from domesticating yet more wild species.

edit: especially zoobies

Last edited:
We rescued Duke from a shelter, and he is the Velcro Dog. He is sad when my wife leaves and sad when I leave. He had spent about 5 months in doggy-prison, and he had apparently been beaten and abused because he shies away from any guy (except me) holding a stick, a hammer, etc. He has a better life now.

BTW, dogs have been companion animals and hunting partners for thousands of years. Want to go for a walk in the woods? Duke is right there. We don't hunt, but he loves to get out and follow his nose. I have a neighbor with 2 spaniels and they are tied up outside about 24/7. That is cruelty, IMO.

Danger said:
That's genuine affection.

Yes I may have misrepresented the cat in question, we got him as a rescue cat and he nearly died. He was terrified and hid under a cupboard. I coaxed him out with some food, laid on my back on the floor, picked him up and laid him on my stomach. He laid down and started purring and trusted me from that day. If I ever lay down he comes and lays on my stomach, dogs permitting. However, whenever the neighbours are home, he still clears off there, as the food is better apparently.

zoobyshoe said:
I think as far as cats and dogs and horses go, the damage has been done, and there's no going back.
I think this is a very important point. As cruel as the practice is, it has been going on for so long that you really can't do much about it at this point. If there really is such a thing as karma then your (the OP's) alien analogy would be a befitting fate for humans.

I think most of the industry that creates the animals to be held as pets is cruel, yes. They mostly do it for the money and don't care much about the wellbeing. Having domesticated pets is not cruel, why would it be.

I think caging a bird is cruel.

Those animal zoos / petting zoos always break my heart to go through. The fact that they are legal just makes my blood boil.

WannabeNewton said:
Those animal zoos / petting zoos always break my heart to go through. The fact that they are legal just makes my blood boil.

That's not in your best interest; animals can sense boiling blood and take it as an invitation to eat you.
Monique, I agree entirely. While a large number of us are making sure that as many pets as possible are spayed or neutered to minimize the excess population, there are mercenary bastards running puppy mills or pit-bull breeding shops in order to turn a profit.

jobyts said:
I think caging a bird is cruel.

I've been told by bird owners that having a bird would suit me. But I can't do it, for this exact reason. They aren't domesticated animals, I don't want to cage them.

I had a blue-crowned conure that loved me. She was never caged, and I built her a complex perch. Keep the wing-feather tips trimmed, and she was very happy as a climber. It helped that I included some small food-dishes on the perch. She would go nuts for chili peppers.

Should I mention Roger, Evo's red-eared racing turtle? She probably wore down the bottom of his shell revving him up for a match.

My fat boy came from the animal shelter after being liberated from a puppy mill. He appears grateful.

wannab said:

Actually, they'd either be living in an urban environment, at least partially off of humans, much like the foxes in my city do, or they'd be roaming the prairie just outside the city, much like the coyotes here do.

Having a pet that becomes a member of the family isn't cruel. Who is in their "pack" isn't a huge issue for dogs, which are extremely sociable. The important thing is that they actually belong.

I would agree the way people collect pets as puppies or kittens and then discard them once the fun's wore off is cruel.

I got my dog from a shelter when she was 2 years old. Seems hard to understand how they could have discarded her after that much time (but, this being a military town, it's not totally inexplicable). Seven years later, I'd say both of us benefited and she hasn't had a bad life at all.

turbo said:
I had a blue-crowned conure that loved me. She was never caged, and I built her a complex perch. Keep the wing-feather tips trimmed, and she was very happy as a climber. It helped that I included some small food-dishes on the perch. She would go nuts for chili peppers.

Does that mean, the bird will not be able to fly again? That sounds cruel to me.

jobyts said:
Does that mean, the bird will not be able to fly again?

No. Wing clipping is similar to getting a haircut or trimming your nails. It messes up their aerodynamics, not their physical health. If the feathers are allowed to grow out, the critter can fly again. It also won't get cold, or sink in the bathtub, or whatever a naked bird might do; flight feathers are not the same as overall plumage.

Daisy111 said:
It seems to me that it depends.

You're absolutely right about context. A Siberian Husky, while very friendly, would not be entirely happy confined to an apartment. Conversely, I can't think of one single Chihuahua that would want to be tethered outside of an igloo in the middle of a Yukon winter. My late brother-in-law's dog was half wolf. While it was welcome in the house and spent a fair bit of time there socializing, it preferred to sleep outside, even when it was -50°. It would shelter under the steps or behind a wood pile, but didn't want to be indoors.

(The igloo reference wasn't racism, by the way; they're still used by hunting parties and even some vacationers. It's the arctic version of building a lean-to in a forest.)

Oh Siberian Huskies. I had nine of them at some point in the history, that is two adults and a litter of seven. What an experience. It's a really incredible breed. I had to run them at the leash though and in that time I could have run the marathon, no problem.

If you can't, don't go for huskies.

wannab said:
Most dogs would be running across continents and looking after their own litters, not running around gardens and fields looking after their plastic toys.

Incorrect. Dogs wouldn't exist at all if not for domestication by humans.

dkotschessaa said:
Incorrect. Dogs wouldn't exist at all if not for domestication by humans.

Yes and no. Domestic breeds wouldn't, because we engineered them. Dingos, hyenas, wolves, coyotes, and the like have done very well without us.
(Okay, I'm not sure whether or not a hyena is a dog, but the rest are.)

Danger said:
Yes and no. Domestic breeds wouldn't, because we engineered them. Dingos, hyenas, wolves, coyotes, and the like have done very well without us.
(Okay, I'm not sure whether or not a hyena is a dog, but the rest are.)

Ok, but while they classify as canine I think it was safe to assume that the OP meant domesticated breeds, since most people do not keep dingos, hyenas, wolves, coyotes, etc. as pets. (Dingos apparently have this nasty habit of eating babies :tongue:).

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
(Dingos apparently have this nasty habit of eating babies :tongue:).

Catholics should keep a few around until they're allowed to practice birth control.

wannab said:

I would be greatful if some aliens came down here to keep me as a pet, so long as they provided for me as I do my dog. Toys, big giant bed, large portions of food, treats, grooming, and a little praise for pooping in the right spot.

There are days when I wish I had a "dog's life", lay on the porch and watch the breeze. :smile:

We're essentially rescuing them and nurturing their natural instinct to seek security in the creature that feeds them, which should (in nature) be the most capable provider.

nitsuj said:
I would be greatful if some aliens came down here to keep me as a pet, so long as they provided for me as I do my dog.

Me too! (Although I would have to draw the line at neutering...)

Humans are not the only ones who have pets. i watched a documentary and a group of monkeys ( can't remember what kind or even if was monkeys or baboons or another animal it was awhile ago) found a dog and kept it as a pet. They played with the dog and didn't let it leave.

jimmyly said:
Humans are not the only ones who have pets. i watched a documentary and a group of monkeys ( can't remember what kind or even if was monkeys or baboons or another animal it was awhile ago) found a dog and kept it as a pet. They played with the dog and didn't let it leave.

I remember that, although very vaguely. My thinking is that they were chimps in a somewhat confined area such as a zoo or wildlife park. I don't know what they did about feeding it, but it didn't seem to show any sign of wanting to leave. Thanks for reminding me of that; it was cute.

Koko the gorilla had pet cats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vV3Kf4WoA

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Koko the gorilla had pet cats:

That was so adorable that I now have to go to the bathroom.

The worst thing is that Lucy was watching it with me. Now she wants a piece of cake. I don't have any. Thanks a lot, Lisa... :grumpy:

1. Is it natural for humans to anthropomorphize animals?

Anthropomorphism, or the attribution of human characteristics to non-human entities, has been observed in human societies throughout history. It is a natural tendency for humans to anthropomorphize animals as a way to understand and relate to them. However, this does not necessarily mean that it is ethical to do so.

2. What are the potential consequences of anthropomorphizing animals?

Anthropomorphizing animals can lead to a distorted view of their natural behavior and needs. This can result in inappropriate treatment and care, as well as unrealistic expectations for their behavior. It can also contribute to the exploitation of animals for entertainment or profit.

3. How does keeping animals as pets impact their well-being?

Keeping animals as pets can have both positive and negative impacts on their well-being. On one hand, pets can provide companionship and love to their owners. On the other hand, they may experience stress, boredom, and other negative effects if their needs are not properly met. It is important for pet owners to educate themselves on the specific needs of their animal and provide appropriate care.

4. Is it ethical to keep wild animals as pets?

In most cases, it is not ethical to keep wild animals as pets. Wild animals have specific needs and behaviors that are difficult to replicate in a domestic setting. They may also pose a danger to their owners and the community. In addition, capturing and keeping wild animals as pets can contribute to the decline of their populations in the wild.

5. How can we ethically interact with animals without anthropomorphizing them?

One way to ethically interact with animals is to educate ourselves on their natural behaviors and needs. This can help us understand and appreciate them without projecting human characteristics onto them. We can also support organizations and initiatives that aim to protect and preserve the natural habitats of animals, rather than keeping them as pets.