Is it okay to use dot/cross for free radical rxns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Inertia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Inertia
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm learning about various radical reactions, the thing is I'm still getting my head around 'half arrow' mechanisms. However for some reason the dot and cross model for these types of reactions is really intuitive and works great for my understanding. Is this a dangerous path to go down, to work out half arrow mechanisms?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've not heard of the dot and cross model, can you explain a bit? If you are comfortable with 2-electron mechanisms using arrows, you should be able to easily transition to the 1-electron version for radicals. Maybe you need some practice?