Is it possible to connect two hydraulic jacks?

• Thread starter tomallan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of connecting two hydraulic jacks together to lift an inclined board. Options such as splitting the fluid feed into two or using a shut off valve are suggested. It is also mentioned that simpler solutions, such as looking up "hydraulic lift table" or using hydraulic platforms on trucks, may be available. Additionally, the poster is reminded of the rule against multiple posting and their threads are merged into one.
tomallan
it is possible to connect two hydraulic jacks together? i want to lift an inclined board using two hydraulic jacks at both ends of the board. is there a way that i can connect two hydraulic jacks together so that when i pump one of the jacks, the other is also being pumped. Any ideas how to lift the inclined board will also be helpful. thanks.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Hydraulic pump 1---------Hydraulic pump 2

Engineering news on Phys.org
it is possible to connect two hydraulic jacks together?

it is possible to connect two hydraulic jacks together? i want to lift an inclined board using two hydraulic jacks at both ends of the board. is there a way that i can connect two hydraulic jacks together so that when i pump one of the jacks, the other is also being pumped. Any ideas how to lift the inclined board will also be helpful. thanks.

it is possible to connect two hydraulic jacks together?

Why not split the fluid feed into two, i.e. connect them in parrallel. You will have no control over them separately though.

I've manifolded jacks together many times, lifting as much as 800 tons.

But they will all see the same pressure. This can be a problem if they do not also see the same load. So install a shut off valve in front of each jack to control the fluid going to that jack individually.

Well... you could hook them all to the same pump.
However - there are simpler ways: look up "hydraulic lift table" or just look at the hydraulic platforms at the back of trucks.

tomallan said:

Multiple posting the same question across PF forums is against the rules here (and you have been previously warned about this). Check your PMs.

I have merged the 3 threads into this one.

1. Can two hydraulic jacks be connected together?

Yes, it is possible to connect two hydraulic jacks together. This is often done in hydraulic systems to increase the force applied by the jacks.

2. How do you connect two hydraulic jacks?

The two jacks can be connected by using a hydraulic hose or pipe to transfer the fluid between them. The connection should be made using appropriate fittings to ensure a secure and leak-free connection.

3. Is it safe to connect two hydraulic jacks?

As long as the jacks are properly connected and the system is designed and operated within its rated capacity, it is safe to connect two hydraulic jacks. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines to prevent accidents.

4. What are the benefits of connecting two hydraulic jacks?

Connecting two hydraulic jacks allows for a higher force to be exerted, as the fluid is transferred between the jacks. This can be useful in lifting heavy objects or applying a greater force in a hydraulic system.

5. Are there any limitations to connecting two hydraulic jacks?

The main limitation is the rated capacity of the hydraulic system. Connecting two jacks will not increase the overall capacity of the system, so it is important to ensure that the combined force exerted by the jacks does not exceed the system's capacity.