Is it possible to get a downgraded version of gfortran?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gfortran
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CAF123
Gold Member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
87
Is it still possible to somehow get a downgraded version of gfortran? Currently I have version 10.2.0 but this leads to some incompatibility in the compilation of some fortran code in a package I wish to install. As I am on a new machine, it is probably ok for me to uninstall gfortran without too much problems elsewhere but I couldn't see how I might then get a downgraded version of gfortran. I am looking for gfortran version 9.1.0 and I am on a MacOs Big Sur operating system.

I have tried brew install gfortran@9.1.0 and brew search gfortran but neither give useful results.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the links at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#MacOS? Fink looks the most promising but the site is not responding at the moment, GitHub obviously works but may not have the version you want. Otherwise you may need to compile from source, or could look at installing a Linux virtual machine which will give you access to all the GCC releases.
 
Sometimes, this can become a rabbit hole where you start downgrading one app and then another until you get lost in the mire.

Is there no way to find why the code doesn't install or compile and fix it at that point? It would seem that someone has run into this before and possibly has a fix available online.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pbuk