1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to learn Physics Maths without suffering?

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    I'm reading Physics papers, and every time I open a paper, all I see is maths and symbols I never seen before and it's just all too overwhelming! For someone who's been away from maths for a long time due to different careers, how would they ever come to understand this maths?

It seems so natural and flows like a language by itself.
    Where should this person start if they need to start understanding and working with maths like a spoken language?

Most difficulty is in imagining what the formulas are trying to say in the first place. Like, what is a partial derivative in english language? what are you doing exactly? Things like that..

What's the best way (not in many years hopefully) to start speaking and understanding the language of Physics Mathematics in a few months?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2017 #2
    I dont think that you can do that.For principles of physics, likes kinematics,,Newtonian Laws,Rotation,Electromagnetisim (first year of physics).You need at least minimum calculus up to integrals.And you can learn all of them in 5-6 months maybe more, depends on the effort (In uni all this took 7 months ) .Just math is not enough to understand the main idea of the concept you have to also understand "physics" stuff.If you want to learn more stuff you need to study more calculus some other math tools, which can take year or more to understand it.Which physics papers are more about complex stuff so you need to learn a lot
    ( I assume physics papers mean articles)
    If you want to really learn and undertand then I think these things are necessery.

MIT calculus lectures I think great If you want to start from somewhere

4. Feb 10, 2017 #3
    Thank you. Yes I'm speaking about Physics research papers. 70% complex mathematics and 30% english with mathematical symbols:)
    I guess I will start with MIT calculus and hope things go smoothly.

Appreciate your advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted