Is it worth it to persue fundamental Theoretical Physics? no strings

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's battle plan for becoming successful in the field of fundamental physics. They mention their desire to learn about verified models such as QFT, GR, and the Standard Model, and their interest in experimental testing and quantum information theory. They also express their concern about being forced into unverified ideas and their preference for pursuing physics in their free time rather than as a career. The conversation also touches on the topic of string theory and its role in fundamental physics, with some disagreement on its prominence in the field. The speaker ultimately expresses their desire to find out something unknown and their openness to criticism and failure. The conversation concludes with a reminder that the path to becoming a theoretical physicist is not as straightforward as it may seem and
TupoyVolk
Here's my battle plan:
1:
Learn (the principles) of verified models for fundamental physics.
QFT, GR, Standard Model, etc.

2:
Try to think of what I don't know and what I'd like to experimentally test.I think I'd prefer to get a regular job and research physics in my free time, rather than be forced to listen to unverified ideas, which I believe can limit creativity.
EDIT: Of course I'm open to criticism and other ideas in 'concrete' areas. I just think string theory could influence me like someone giving a 'hint' for a math problem, I find it hard not to think of the hint.

I'm looking at Perimeter institute for Quantum information theory, but it is early days.

I'm sure there are people in similar situations, so I'd like to hear what you guys do.

-

I don't believe I'm a crank, in case it comes off that way.
Doing two BScs one in mathematical physics other in pure math + care about experiment and scientific method (more than ZFC).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The last physicist to do anything like your #2 with a high degree of success and visibility was Enrico Fermi. You're arguing that you are so smart, you can do what Fermi never could: do this part-time, and without exposing yourselves to other people's ideas that may challenge your own.

How plausible is this?

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I am 'so smart.'
I guess I implied that, I'm sincerely sorry.
I think all humans are pretty much the same level of learning capability (excluding those with mental problems) :).

I'm not assuming success. I think anyone trying to find out something unknown faces the risk of failure.

What I meant was, I'd like to start off with my own thinking. I would definitely be open for criticism, I just think that if I'm 'exposed' to some of the ideas of string theory I might not be able to get them out of my head.
Like trying a maths question when someone gives you a hint, its hard not to use the hint for me.

Personally I think 2 is a good way of deciding what to do next, though. e.g. I don't know what dark matter is. I'd like to look into that. (Not assuming that I'll make any progress).I fear that I may be forced into string theory or similarly unverified areas, which seems restrictive to me.

Last edited:
If you want to do fundamental physics then I think that the only option is string theory . Most research is done in string theory .All other approach are not well developed and can likely lead to blind ends Also string theory is not restricted . Ideas from string theory are applied to condensed matter physics and to understand string theory you should understand quantum field theory which is fundamental to condensed matter physics too . String theory is the natural extension to gauge theory (think about gauge/gravity duality) so it provides insight into gauge theory of particle physics . It's not an isolated area any more

nabil0 said:
If you want to do fundamental physics then I think that the only option is string theory . Most research is done in string theory .

No. Most theoretical physics is not done in string theory. I don't know where you got this.

micromass said:
No. Most theoretical physics is not done in string theory. I don't know where you got this.

I meant physics beyond the standard model that's how to unify quantum mechanics and gravity

nabil0 said:
So what do you think the most active area of beyond the standard model physics is ?
To my knowledge, it's been Supersymmetry when I still was in the field (which was not so long ago). But it's already debatable whether physics beyond (or replacing) the Standard Model is the only fundamental physics. Statistical physics or Thermodynamics, for example, doesn't nessessarily even have to use Quantum Mechanics. Yet it is, in a sense, much more fundamental than Particle Physics or the Standard Model. Similar things can be said for Algebraic Quantum Field Theory, Quantum Computing or Non-linear Dynamics.

On a not-fully-related note: Personally, I am not even conviced that it is purely due to natural human intuition to assume that Particle Physics and Astrophysics are the "most fundamental" field of Physics. I have the suspicion that at least part of this trend is due to the excellent Particle Physics PR, which they had to establish after the SSC desaster.

Last edited:
Isn't this kind of like saying: Here's my plan for becoming a billionaire:
1. Study the standard models in micro- and macro-economics.
2. Start a business and rake in the cash.

Chances are, if you haven't spent much time learning the "verified models of fundamental physics," you don't have much of an idea of what it really means to be a theoretical physicist working on these kinds of problems.

That's okay.

I suspect a lot of people go into physics thinking along similar lines... they enjoy popular physics books or documentaries, they enjoy asking big questions, they enjoy the physics that they have studied and they have romantic ideas about the path to becoming a theoretical physicist... that one just has to obtain a PhD and one will be handed a job in an ivory tower challenging the secrets of the universe with one's intellect.

As you study, you'll develop a more realistic view on how physics works. You'll mature academically and become interested in questions and opportunities that you were never even aware of prior to entering the field and in that sense you may just become a physicist. It's important to keep in mind there are a lot more people educated in physics than there are actively researching professional physicists.

1. Is pursuing fundamental Theoretical Physics worth the time and effort?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and interests. If you have a passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and are willing to put in the time and effort, then pursuing this field can be incredibly rewarding. However, it is important to note that it can be a challenging and competitive field, and success is not guaranteed.

2. How does pursuing fundamental Theoretical Physics differ from other branches of physics?

Unlike other branches of physics, fundamental Theoretical Physics focuses on the most basic laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. This field involves a lot of abstract and mathematical thinking, as well as a deep understanding of concepts such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

3. What are the career prospects for someone pursuing fundamental Theoretical Physics?

There are a variety of career paths available for those with a background in fundamental Theoretical Physics. Many go on to work in academia, conducting research and teaching at universities. Others may work in research and development for government agencies or private companies. Some may also pursue careers in data science or finance, as the skills learned in this field are highly transferable.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualifications needed to pursue fundamental Theoretical Physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for success in this field. In addition, having a curious and analytical mind, as well as a strong work ethic, can also be beneficial. While a formal education in physics is recommended, there are also many resources available for self-study.

5. Is there room for creativity and innovation in fundamental Theoretical Physics?

Absolutely! While the laws of the universe may seem set in stone, there is still much to be discovered and understood. In fact, many groundbreaking discoveries in physics have come from creative and innovative thinking. Pursuing fundamental Theoretical Physics allows for the exploration and development of new ideas and theories.