Is Japan Addressing the Issue of Old Man Smell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Japan Smell
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,663
Reaction score
37
Japan battles "the old man smell"

Something weird I heard about on the radio this morning.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japans_aging_population_deals_with_old_man_smell_16746

Japan's average population is aging at a rate faster than most other industrialized nations and with age, comes wisdom... and a few other things too. As if hard-working "salarymen" don't already have enough worries, now they have to deal with "old man smell". The phenomena has even been given a name: kareishu.

Kareishu is caused by a certain type of fatty acid created in the bodies of older people. This substance, called "nonenal", has a distinct scent that is difficult to hide or mask since it is emitted from the skin when humans sweat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Nonenal

2-Nonenal has an unpleasant greasy and grassy odor. Because of these findings, some observers have concluded that Haze's team has identified the cause of the phenomenon commonly known as "old lady smell", "old man smell" or "old person smell", a meme found in pop culture relating to an odor that is characteristically associated with the elderly.[5] Similarly, some consider 2-nonenal's odor to resemble that of old books and is at times casually referred to as "library aldehyde."

:eek:

Gee, I would have thought they were just talking about Ben Gay and Grecian formula.
 
Biology news on Phys.org


Maybe it's nature's way of stopping old men from procreating. Luckily there are women like Heather Mills who can see past such superficialities.
 


That's really interesting. I wonder if anyone's done any studies on whether some people are more sensitive to it than other people. We used to have a part-time worker who was 69 years old, and one of the younger women in our office (she's 23) always complained that the first woman "smelled like an old person". The 23-year-old found it really and truly off-putting.
 


I know I can smell it. I'm 24 if that makes a difference.
 


I don't think I have ever noticed anything. I worked in a nursing home when I was a teenager and was around elderly folks a lot. I don't recall noticing anything then.