1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is kinematics/dynamics an everyday part of the job?

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    I'm a math major currently in calc 3, and I'm also taking my first ever physics class. I've always had a very strong interest in physics from pop-sci books and Feynman's lectures, and I fantasized about doing some work in physics, possibly even changing majors. The problem I find myself having is I find this physics class to be incredibly boring. It is an 8:00 am class and my teacher doesn't exactly get me excited for her lectures, and I just do not find this class to be enjoyable at all. I also don't think I'm very good at it, average at best.

So, getting to the point, is this stuff crucial to every physicist all of the time, regardless of their field? Does it get better/more interesting? Is the fact that I'm not enjoying this class a sign that I probably do not have a future in physics? Or is it one of those classes that you just have to get through in order to get to the good stuff?

Also I'm taking a pretty heavy course load and do not have the time to really dedicate to learning the material as deeply as I should, and as long as I survive the rest of this semester I'm going to take it a little easier on myself in the spring when I take physics II. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. It is crucial to be able to learn and understand new things quickly, but which areas you'll need really depends on the actual project.
    Hard to tell, different people are interested in different things.

4. Nov 10, 2013 #3
    I'd say it will inevitably get more interesting. Physics II is so much more "magical" than Physics 1. Physics 1 IMO just mathematizes kind of obvious stuff about movement of objects. Physics II, I knew absolutely nothing about before I took it, and found than E&M is a truly beautiful subject. I chose to major in EE partially as a result of this class, (although the upperclassmen EE version of Electromagnetics wasn't nearly as captivating as the intro calc based physics E&M course).

I majored in EE but I probably should have majored in physics. I chose EE because it served as an "employable math degree" but I still feel pretty unemployable and probably should just not have been a wimp about it and done physics.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. Nov 12, 2013 #4
    Thanks. I've heard the same sentiment about E&M from a couple other people. I'm definitely looking forward to it and I suppose I will continue taking physics courses and see how it goes.

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

If you like pop-science books and are decent at math, QM will blow your mind. I still can't believe it almost 20 years later!

7. Nov 13, 2013 #6
    My lab instructor invited me to sit in on his QM class next semester but I'm not sure my schedule will allow it. I bet it's awesome (and probably a little intense)! :)

8. Feb 6, 2014 #7
    Just going over old posts and curious if You're in physics 2 this semester.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook