Is min(1/2,x,x²) quasi-linear and why isn't it concave?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter newphysist
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
newphysist
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have two questions.

(1) I am trying to understand how the following function is quasi-linear:

Code:
f = min(1/2,x,x^2)

For it to be quasi linear it has to be quasi convex and quasi concave at same time.

(2) I think the reason the above function is not concave is cause on a certain interval (0,1) f = x^2 which is convex. Am I correct in my reasoning?

Thanks guys
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
newphysist said:
(1) I am trying to understand how the following function is quasi-linear:
Code:
f = min(1/2,x,x^2)
For it to be quasi linear it has to be quasi convex and quasi concave at same time.
Yes. Which it is.
(2) I think the reason the above function is not concave is cause on a certain interval (0,1) f = x^2 which is convex. Am I correct in my reasoning?
Yes, though it would be more accurate to observe that on (0, 1/√2) it is not concave. (min{.5, x/2, x} would have been concave.)
 
This function is monotonic. And every monotonic function is quasilinear.