Is mixing grapefruit juice with coffee a delicious new idea?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Idea
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
rachmaninoff
So I was enjoying breakfast this morning, very early like (at seven or so), and I was looking at my coffee mug, and also at a glass of grapefruit juice. So I thought, why not? and toppled the contents of one into the other. And the result was suprisingly sweet-tasting, lemony, coffee-ish, in a uniquely brown color - a very bright brown, almost phosphorescent.

What do you think?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the reason that two things mixed together tasts good is because of similar molecular structure and things that taste bad have unsimilar molecular structure. Basil and coffee are good apart from on another, but when you mix them...they taste awful.

Do you have acces to IR-spectroscopy?
 
Yes, actually, I have a very nice FT-IR sitting right here in the lab. No, I will not put coffee in it and spend the next two centuries identifying all the peaks. There is a whole institute devoted to that task - the Institute of Coffee at Vanderbilt University.
 
rachmaninoff said:
There is a whole institute devoted to that task - the Institute of Coffee at Vanderbilt University.

That is maybe the most hillarious i ever heard ;P
 
People do put lemon in tea, but grapefruit juice in coffee just sounds like it would taste wrong.
 
Mattara said:
That is maybe the most hillarious i ever heard ;P

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/coffee/
ICS said:
The mission of the Institute for Coffee Studies is

* to investigate systematically the actions of the various compounds found in coffee using the most advanced biomedical tools
* to identify potential therapeutic uses of coffee based on fundamental understanding of the pharmacology of its chemical constituents
* to disseminate research findings and promote educational exchange with partner nations

zoobyshoe said:
People do put lemon in tea, but grapefruit juice in coffee just sounds like it would taste wrong.

It was equal parts coffee and grapefruit juice, hence the excessive sweetness.
 
Ruining the sanctity of that which is coffee with the putrid tasting grapefruit juice is just plain wrong. Repent!
 
FredGarvin said:
Ruining the sanctity of that which is coffee with the putrid tasting grapefruit juice is just plain wrong. Repent!

I'd say it was the other way around...
 
rachmaninoff said:
I was looking at my <INSERT NOUN>, and also at a<INSERT NOUN>. So I thought, why not?
I've had soooooo many adventures that started out exactly like this. my list of nouns contains: cup of sugar, mercury, penis, wall socket, laser, alligator clip, etc
 
rachmaninoff said:
So I was enjoying breakfast this morning, very early like (at seven or so), and I was looking at my coffee mug, and also at a glass of grapefruit juice. So I thought, why not? and toppled the contents of one into the other. And the result was suprisingly sweet-tasting, lemony, coffee-ish, in a uniquely brown color - a very bright brown, almost phosphorescent.

What do you think?
As a general rule of thumb, I've found that I stay alive longer if I don't drink anything even vaguely phosphorescent. There's probably a reason for the phosphorescence, like maybe the coffee molecules and the juice molecules reacted, became unstable, and are now giving off deadly radiation. I'd probably end up with cancer and an unpleasant variety of genetic mutations. So no...none for me.

Good luck though.
 
I love coffee.

I love Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.

Together?
 
FredGarvin said:
Ruining the sanctity of that which is coffee with the putrid tasting grapefruit juice is just plain wrong. Repent!

Here here!


Maybe you should next mix coffee with pomegranate juice. Or tomato juice. Actually, don't do tomato juice, the consistency would be too weird

[toh-mah-toe]
 
Let's go all the way, folks: COFFEE AND JELLYFISH!

jellyfish-1.jpg
 
FredGarvin said:
Ruining the sanctity of that which is coffee with the putrid tasting grapefruit juice is just plain wrong. Repent!

A permutation gives a more palatable wording:

Ruining the sanctity of that which is grapefruit juice with the putrid tasting coffee is just plain wrong. Repent!

Actually, coffee is OK ... if it has ice in it, or if it's in a sauce poured over vanilla ice cream.

Regards,
George