Calculating the Neutralization of Acid in Grapefruit Juice

• Thread starter sunfire249
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the glass of grapefruit juice would have a 0.75g/oz of citric acid, a triprotic acid, which would be neutralized by 0.5g of CaCO3.
sunfire249

Homework Statement

Grapefruit juice contains approximately 0.75g/oz of citric acid (H3C6H5O7(aq)), a triprotic acid. If one tablet of Tums contains 500mg of CaCO3, would one tablet be able to neutralize the acid in one glass of grapefruit juice (8.0oz)? Show your calculations.

Therefore I found the relavant variables would be:
- 0.75g/oz of citric acid
- the fact that it's a triprotic acid
- the volume of one glass of grapefruit juice (8.0oz)
- the grams of tums (0.5g CaCO3)

Homework Equations

- Balancing the equation, which I had no idea how to do. I attempted to use the products H2O + CO2 + CaO, but I found I couldn't balance it.
- Dimensional analysis of the citric acid and CaCO3 from grams to moles

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Multiplied 0.75g/oz of Citric acid with the volume of citric acid (8.0oz) to get the grams of citric acid in grapefruit juice
2) I converted it to the moles of citric acid by dividing by the molar weight
So: 6.0g citric acid/193.1241g citric acid
3) I converted the amount of CaCO3 to moles as well

Not entirely sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let us straighten this part first:

2. Homework Equations
- Balancing the equation, which I had no idea how to do. I attempted to use the products H2O + CO2 + CaO, but I found I couldn't balance it.
- Dimensional analysis of the citric acid and CaCO3 from grams to moles

You want to use CaCO3 to neutralize the triprotic citric acid. We could abbreviate the anion as something and say, the acid is symbolized as H3A.

Now, you want to balance CaCO3 + H3A -----> Ca... you may need to work a bit to show the actual products of the reaction. I will go ahead with this anyway.

CaCO3 + H3A -------> Ca3A2 + H2O, but beware, I have NOT yet balanced the reaction, and I may possibly be incorrect in the Ca3A2 product. The reason is that I am not sure how likely the third proton of citric acid would be neutralized.

I guess question wants you to assume neutralization goes to completion. In reality that's not exactly true.

What is neutralization?

Neutralization is a chemical reaction in which an acid and a base react to form a salt and water. This process results in the cancellation of acidic and basic properties, leading to a neutral pH.

How do you calculate the neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice?

The neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice can be calculated by determining the amount of acid present in the juice and then adding an appropriate amount of base to neutralize it. This can be done through titration, where a known concentration of base is slowly added to the juice until the pH reaches a neutral level.

What is the purpose of calculating the neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice?

The purpose of calculating the neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice is to determine the amount of acid present in the juice. This information is important for quality control and to ensure that the juice is safe for consumption.

What factors can affect the neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice?

Some factors that can affect the neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice include the type and concentration of acid present, the type and concentration of base used for neutralization, and any impurities or additives in the juice that may interfere with the reaction.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the neutralization of acid in grapefruit juice?

Yes, it is important to take appropriate safety precautions when handling acids and bases, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to carefully follow instructions and use proper techniques to avoid any accidents or injuries.