Is My Compound Pure Despite Low Percent Recovery?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yungwun22
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
yungwun22
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I recrystallized an unknown carboxylic acid, then found the melting point of the dried compound and identified it. The melting point range was narrow and that said to me that the compound was pure, but the percent recovery was very low (< 40 %). Indicating there was still a significant amount of impurities. I just wanted to know how to resolve these conflicting results and/or which contribution is the most important in determining purity. Forgive me if this question is stupid.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
yungwun22 said:

Homework Statement


I recrystallized an unknown carboxylic acid, then found the melting point of the dried compound and identified it. The melting point range was narrow and that said to me that the compound was pure, but the percent recovery was very low (< 40 %). Indicating there was still a significant amount of impurities. I just wanted to know how to resolve these conflicting results and/or which contribution is the most important in determining purity. Forgive me if this question is stupid.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



By the " recovery " do you mean ( experimental yield / theoretical yield ) x 100 %?
 
No, the percent recovery. (mass of pure compound)/(mass of impure compound) x 100 %. I'd only heard of percent yield before this class, but this formula is what was given. Only to be used in purification processes.