Is my solution for this exercise correct?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of group and ring homomorphisms, cyclic groups, and isomorphisms between groups. It also includes a calculation involving the evaluation of true and false statements. The conversation ends with a discussion on the group $U_4$, which is the group of 4th roots of unity. The expert confirms that the answers provided are correct and provides additional insights and explanations on each statement.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smirk)

I am given this exercise:

$$\text{Let } \phi: \mathbb{Z} \to m \mathbb{Z}, \text{ that is defined like that: } \phi(a)=ma$$
a) $\phi(a)=ma \text{ is a group homomorphism }$
b) $\phi(a)=ma \text{ is a ring homomorphism }$
c) $\text{the group } \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4 \text{ is cyclic}$
d)$\text{the group } \mathbb{Z}_4 \times \mathbb{Z}_3 \text{ is cyclic}$
e)$\text{ the groups } D_4 \text{ and } \mathbb{Z}_8 \text{ are isomorphic}$
f) $\text{ the groups } \mathbb{Z}_4 \text{ and } U_4 \text{ are isomorphic}$

For each sentence $p \in \{a,b,c,d,e,f \}$,let $t(p)=1$ if $p$ is true, $t(p)=-1$ if $p$ is false.

Calculate $5t(a)+13t(b)-17t(c)+5t(d)+7t(e)+9t(f)$

I thought that it is equal to : $5-13+17+5-7+9=20+9-13=29-13=16$

(a->true,b->false,c->false,d->true,e->false,f->true)

Could you tell me if it is right? (Sweating)(Sweating)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I could tell you.

But here is what I think would be better: I would like for you to tell me if YOU are right, and why.

Let me explain. You seem unsure of whether or not you are doing this correctly. That indicates to me that you don't know. But if something is in fact true, there should be no question. True is true. If you don't know whether or not you understand what you have learned, you haven't actually learned it, yet. This is something that is actually USEFUL: if you want to understand what you have learned more deeply, try explaining it to someone.

And if you HAVE learned it, you ought to be certain in such knowledge. A young child may be uncertain if 2 and 2 is always 4, but an accountant should not be so uncertain, or she will not be an accountant for very long.

If $U_4$ is meant to be the group of units modulo 4, I think you should take a closer look at (f).

Math is not about "getting the right answer". I suspect you are a person who seeks to please, that you are in general well-mannered and polite, so you may be accustomed to asking people: "Is this OK?"

But math is about ideas, and using those ideas as TOOLS to solve problems we might not know the answers to in advance. So using these tools needs to come as naturally to you, as a carpenter swinging a hammer. For if a carpenter does not swing true, it's a little hard on his thumbs.

I am not your teacher, so I do not know how you are being evaluated, but if I was your teacher, I would give "more marks" for wrong answers with the right logic behind them, then for the right answers with no explanation given.

Hi! (Smile)

What is $U_4$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi! (Smile)

What is $U_4$? (Wondering)

$U_4=<\zeta: 1, \zeta, \zeta^2, \zeta^3>$ .. (Thinking)

evinda said:
$U_4=<\zeta: 1, \zeta, \zeta^2, \zeta^3>$ .. (Thinking)

I'm going to go ahead and say that I believe it is all correct. (Sun)

Btw, does this $U_4$ have a name? (Wondering)
I've never seen it before.
I do know $C_4$, which represents the cyclic group of 4 elements, which is apparently exactly what this $U_4$ is.
Anyway, the only group with a $U$ in it that I know is $U(n)$, which is the group of unitary nxn matrices.

Perhaps what is meant is the group of 4th roots of unity:

$\{i,i^2 = -1,i^3= -i,i^4 = 1\}$

I like Serena said:
I'm going to go ahead and say that I believe it is all correct. (Sun)

Great! Thank you very much! (Tongueout)

I like Serena said:
Btw, does this $U_4$ have a name? (Wondering)
I've never seen it before.
I do know $C_4$, which represents the cyclic group of 4 elements, which is apparently exactly what this $U_4$ is.
Anyway, the only group with a $U$ in it that I know is $U(n)$, which is the group of unitary nxn matrices.

Deveno said:
Perhaps what is meant is the group of 4th roots of unity:

$\{i,i^2 = -1,i^3= -i,i^4 = 1\}$

Yes,that's what I mean with $U_4$.. (Nod)(Nod)

In that case, it appears that your answer is correct.

a) Is obvious because of the distributive law.

b) $\phi(ab) = m(ab) \neq m^2(ab) = (ma)(mb) = \phi(a)\phi(b)$, unless $m = 0$ or $1$.

c) This group has no element of order 8 (it's EXPONENT, the smallest power which makes every element the identity, is 4)

d) gcd(3,4) = 1 (Chinese Remainder Theorem)

e) $D_4$ is not abelian

f) any two cyclic groups of the same cardinality are isomorphic, for example $k \cdot 1 \mapsto (i^3)^k$ is an isomorphism here.

Deveno said:
In that case, it appears that your answer is correct.

a) Is obvious because of the distributive law.

b) $\phi(ab) = m(ab) \neq m^2(ab) = (ma)(mb) = \phi(a)\phi(b)$, unless $m = 0$ or $1$.

c) This group has no element of order 8 (it's EXPONENT, the smallest power which makes every element the identity, is 4)

d) gcd(3,4) = 1 (Chinese Remainder Theorem)

e) $D_4$ is not abelian

f) any two cyclic groups of the same cardinality are isomorphic, for example $k \cdot 1 \mapsto (i^3)^k$ is an isomorphism here.

Nice,thanks a lot! :)

1. Are all sentences either right or false?

No, not all sentences can be classified as right or false. Some sentences may be grammatically incorrect or contain contradictory information, making them neither right nor false.

2. How can I determine if a sentence is right or false?

To determine if a sentence is right or false, you must first consider the context and intended meaning of the sentence. Then, you can analyze the grammar, logic, and evidence within the sentence to determine its truthfulness.

3. Can a sentence be both right and false?

No, a sentence cannot be both right and false at the same time. However, a sentence may contain elements that are both true and false, making it a combination of both.

4. What makes a sentence right or false?

The truthfulness of a sentence depends on various factors such as the context, evidence, and logical reasoning. A sentence can be considered right if it accurately represents reality, while a false sentence does not align with reality.

5. Can a sentence be right or false subjectively?

Yes, a sentence can be perceived as right or false subjectively based on an individual's beliefs, opinions, and biases. However, it is important to distinguish between subjective and objective truth when evaluating the accuracy of a sentence.