Is my understanding of the answers given correct?

• A
  • Thread starter wittgenstein
  • Start date
In summary,Hawking said that the uncertainty principle is a physical principle that indicates the degree to how well we can possibly know something. He noted that it is not that particles lack a position and momentum; rather, we will always be uninformed about either of these properties. However, this does not seem to be a particularly remarkable statement. Many physicists believe that the uncertainty principle is a cornerstone of quantum theory, but it is not clear why this is the case.
wittgenstein said:
OK I typed too fast. I should have said, " Will a simpler explanation suffice. "
For example, Suppose there is a dark room that I cannot see into. I send basketballs into it. They ricochet out of the room. I will not be able to tell both the position and momentum of the objects that they ricocheted off of. That seems analogous to me firing particles in the 2-slit experiment. There is nothing mysterious going on. I do not have to propose multiple universes etc. Why is any extraordinary explanation needed?

• Sad
Likes Motore
Physics news on Phys.org
martinbn said:
Ok, other than the popular books, which QM textbook have you tried to study?
OK so I am too stupid to be allowed to ask a question. You obviously have no answer to my question, " Why are extraordinary explanations necessary?" I think the idea of many worlds is very extraordinary, Anyway, you are obviously upset and making this personal. BYE

• Sad
Likes Motore
wittgenstein said:
My basic question is, is QM actually almost classical except that our influence on the results of an experiment is unavoidable.
No.
Asked and answered.
Next Question Please

Likes mattt and Vanadium 50
I cannot see that we can come forward here.
  • The requested level "A" of an answer contradicts the possible content.
  • We do not discuss scientific viewpoints outside our current best knowledge.
  • Yes, everybody is allowed to question things. This is how we usually learn: why is formula xyz correct? It makes no sense to question an entire physical branch in order to learn.
  • I got the impression that the word classical is misinterpreted as simple in this case.
  • My favorite quotation of @phinds kicks in: "To think outside the box, you must know what's in the box."
  • The question has basically been answered.
  • The question has basically been answered, ##1900 \sim 1925##.
This thread is closed.

Likes hutchphd, Astronuc, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person