Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is NATURAL apple juice a clear liquid?

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    what imean by natural is...u know how motts comes in regular and natural? well i bought the natural kind..but i bought store brand. if i wave my hand behind the bottle i can barely see it...(the shadow of it) with gatorade i can see it much clearer..but idont like gatorades....

one site ive looked at says any fruit juice without pulp is a clear liquid....but that would mean orange juice is??? which i highly doubt
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

They're both natural, clear juice is filtered.
  4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
    Yeah the clear stuff is just filtered through a fine mesh, mostly for marketability. What you really want to look at is on top of the nutrition panel on the back. Above the panel it should say '100% juice'. This means they didn't take some juice, and add some sugar and water to it to make it cheaper for them to make.

Personally I just eat an apple! (better for ya)
  5. Aug 12, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

The most refreshing drink I've ever had is fresh squeezed apple 'cider', and I don't mean the fermented kind. No preservatives, no pasteurization. I've yet to find anything in supermarkets that comes even close. When I was a kid (in Michigan), we used to go directly to the cider mill with a metal milk can and fill it to the brim. In California, I know one place (in the Sierra foothills) that makes it.

A close second is a mixture of lemonade (7up or Spite might work) and beer.
  6. Aug 12, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apple juice very quickly discolours after pressing in the presence of oxygen. It goes a horrible brown colour which doesn't affect the flavour at all. When I'm making cider I put a bit of lemon juice in when I'm pulping, and try and do everything as quickly as possible, but it usually goes brown anyway!
  7. Aug 15, 2010 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Actually, if you filter it enough, you'll end up with just water and that's clear.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook