Is our sun part of a star cluster?

• Thread starter lilythmagebor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star Sun
In summary, there is conflicting information regarding whether the Sun is part of an open cluster. Some sources claim that it used to be part of a cluster, but that it has since dispersed due to gravitational interactions. Other sources do not mention the Sun being within a cluster. Regardless, even if the Sun were part of a cluster, it is unlikely that Barnard's Star would be a member of it.
lilythmagebor
Because I was curious about this, I read here that, "Our own Sun is part of an open cluster than includes other nearby stars such as Alpha Centauri and Barnard's star."
However, I cannot find any other pages claiming this, and the wikipedia entry on star clusters does not mention us being within a cluster, which I would think would be a rather important thing to mention.
Can anyone give me a definitive 'yes' or 'no' on this one?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The Sun is not part of any cluster. Are there stars that are nearby (in galactic terms)? Yes. Are they part of of a gravitationally-bound group? Nope.

If you have access to a small telescope, look at the double cluster. That's what open clusters look like.

I think your link is supposed to say that the sun USED to be part of an open cluster. By its own words it says that the stars will disperse due to interactions with other objects over time.

"Typical star densities in the centre of a cluster are about 1.5 stars per cubic light year (the stellar density near the sun is about 0.003 star per cubic light year)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_cluster#Morphology_and_classification

Open clusters tend to be young because gravitational interactions disperse its members over time. According to the same article, the half life of open clusters is 150-800 million years. The Sun is 4.6 billion years old, so if it once belonged to an open cluster, that cluster had plenty of time to dissipate.

Last edited:
IIRC, the dispersion rate of 'mid-sized' stars such as our Sun's G8 is important because it would make the difference between sibs being 40~~50 LY apart, so fairly easy to spot, and 100~~200 LY apart, so statistically dubious...

With luck, searching for 'metal rich' stars in our galactic arm may find some plausible candidates...

To add to the mix, even if the sun were part of an open cluster, there's no way Barnard's Star would be a member of it.

1. What is a star cluster?

A star cluster is a group of stars that are gravitationally bound together and formed from the same molecular cloud.

2. Is our sun part of a star cluster?

Yes, our sun is part of a star cluster called the "Local Interstellar Cloud" or the "Local Fluff". This cluster contains over 30 stars, including our sun, and is located within the Milky Way galaxy.

3. How do we know that our sun is part of a star cluster?

We know that our sun is part of a star cluster through various observations and studies, such as analyzing the movements and positions of nearby stars, as well as studying the composition and age of our sun and other stars in the cluster.

4. What are the benefits of being part of a star cluster?

Being part of a star cluster can provide various benefits for stars, such as increased protection from external forces, opportunities for interactions and mergers with other stars, and a greater abundance of resources for potential planetary systems.

5. Are all stars in the universe part of a star cluster?

No, not all stars in the universe are part of a star cluster. Some stars, known as "field stars", exist independently and are not gravitationally bound to any other stars.