Is Posting Links to ArXiv Not Allowed for Newcomers on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
PAllen
Science Advisor
A recently locked thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=602940

indicated that this new poster (first post) could not post links to arxiv. Is this true, and when did it happen?

I ask because my first post to physicsforums involved two links to arxiv (unlike this case, both were published, but that is not the point of my query; though I might also note that the link of mine that was published in Annalen der Physik was much more controversial than the above thread). Also, I note that, at the time, I did not know that my links were published - a responder noted that both were published.

In this case, I hope the link is published, and the thread is re-opened, because I see the topic as well within the goals of discussion of mainstream research for these forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a temporary measure to help combat some recent spam attacks. If it becomes permanent we'll make an announcement.

Ok, I'll watch out for this. I should also note that while the thread title is provocative, the referenced paper is not really. The referenced paper does not argue an incompatibility of momentum conservation and SR. Instead, it argues that both SR and Maxwell's equations are consistent and conserve momentum, but that the Lorentz force law has problems being consistent with both SR and momentum conservation unless it is generalized (in a way proposed by Einstein in 1908). I have not read the paper carefully enough yet to agree or disagree, but that is hardly a wild claim.

it would be helpful if anyone replying to a homework question with a head-less link (without the htt etc) would post the whole link in their reply :smile:

(first checking of course that is isn't spam!))

1. Why can't newcomers post links?

Newcomers cannot post links in order to prevent spam and malicious content from being shared on the platform. This is a common practice on many websites to ensure the safety and security of the community.

2. Can I post links once I am no longer considered a newcomer?

Yes, once you have become an active and trusted member of the community, you will be able to post links. This is typically determined by the website's algorithm and may vary from site to site.

3. How long does it take to become a non-newcomer?

The time it takes to become a non-newcomer varies depending on the website's algorithm and your level of activity on the platform. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

4. Can I request to become a non-newcomer?

No, you cannot request to become a non-newcomer. The website's algorithm will determine when you are no longer considered a newcomer based on your activity and engagement on the platform.

5. Are there any exceptions to the "newcomers can't post links" rule?

In some cases, a website may allow certain newcomers to post links if they have been verified or approved by a moderator or administrator. However, this is not a common practice and is at the discretion of the website's team.