Is steam a gas or does it contain suspended water droplets?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jackle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Liquid Steam
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jackle
Messages
277
Reaction score
0
When I was at school, some 15 years ago, I was taught that steam was not a gas. This always seemed a very odd thing to say. I think it was based on the idea that it contains suspended water droplets, but wouldn't any gas have suspended droplets near it's boiling point? I'd like to settle this in my mind forever.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Steam", by virtue of the fact that you can see it, is not a gas.

It's not a matter of the fact that steam contains water droplets, it's the fact that steam is water droplets! Water, as a gas (above its boiling point), is not steam.
 
Halls, I have to differ with you.

Steam is, in fact, invisible. It is pure water vapor, and is a gas.

The whitish cloudy stuff you see rising from your pasta pot on the stove is not steam -- it's just air with condensed water droplets in it.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
Steam is, in fact, invisible. It is pure water vapor, and is a gas.

The whitish cloudy stuff you see rising from your pasta pot on the stove is not steam -- it's just air with condensed water droplets in it.

- Warren
...and that's the interpretation of thermodynamics texts as well.