Is String theory real?

• B
  • Thread starter Mary curie
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everybody! I hope you are having a great day !
My question: is the strings theory a REAL theory ... is it really the final answer to the relationship between relativity and quantum mechanics! ? [emoji54]

Answers and Replies

Hello everybody! I hope you are having a great day !
My question: is the strings theory a REAL theory ... is it really the final answer to the relationship between relativity and quantum mechanics! ? [emoji54]
It's hard to guess what you could mean by "a real theory". I would be joking and say, no, it's a complex theory. At the moment it is only a mainly mathematical model for which we don't have any experimental evidence, neither to favor it, nor to fault it. So it cannot be answered yet, whether string theory is the final answer to merge GR and QM. By the way, strictly speaking it isn't even one theory but many. String theory is a common headline for various versions. They differ for example in the number of dimensions they need. If you're interested in it, you could read the Wikipedia entry on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

You might also look on PF for there are certainly really many threads which deal with string theory. I recommend to look out for B labeled threads, or at most I level, because many of them are either rather mathematical or they debate various interpretations or scientific arguments.

So if you like: There is still work to do in the field, mathematically as well as experimentally. But it's a long way to go.

Likes Mary curie
Oh wow thanks for unlight me