Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is String theory real?

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1
    Hello everybody! I hope you are having a great day !
    My question: is the strings theory a REAL theory ... is it really the final answer to the relationship between relativity and quantum mechanics! ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It's hard to guess what you could mean by "a real theory". I would be joking and say, no, it's a complex theory. At the moment it is only a mainly mathematical model for which we don't have any experimental evidence, neither to favor it, nor to fault it. So it cannot be answered yet, whether string theory is the final answer to merge GR and QM. By the way, strictly speaking it isn't even one theory but many. String theory is a common headline for various versions. They differ for example in the number of dimensions they need. If you're interested in it, you could read the Wikipedia entry on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

You might also look on PF for there are certainly really many threads which deal with string theory. I recommend to look out for B labeled threads, or at most I level, because many of them are either rather mathematical or they debate various interpretations or scientific arguments.

So if you like: There is still work to do in the field, mathematically as well as experimentally. But it's a long way to go.

4. Feb 2, 2017 #3
    Oh wow thanks for unlight me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted