Is suicide wrong in extreme circumstances?

• Thread starter nix
  • Start date
Originally posted by TonySlim
what about choosing to commit suicide so that the others in your soccer team/castaway group could eat a nice meal (a.k.a. you)?
Seems like the ultimate altruistic act to me!

drag
Science Advisor
Originally posted by TonySlim
what about choosing to commit suicide so that the others in your soccer team/castaway group could eat a nice meal (a.k.a. you)?
I guess that if there was really no other way we'd
draw sticks or something.

Schopenhauer on Suicide

"As far as I can see, it is only the monotheistic, that is to say Jewish, religions whose members regard self-destruction as a crime. This is all the more striking in that neither in the Old nor in the New Testament is there to be found any prohibition or even dissapproval of it; so that religious teachers have to base their prosciption of suicide on philosophical grounds of their own invention, which are however so poor that what their arguments lack in strength they have to try to make for by the strength of the terms in which they express their abhorrence; that is to say, they resort to abuse. Thus we hear that suicide is the most cowardly of acts, that only a madman would commit it, and similar insipidies; or the senseless assertation that suicide is 'wrong', though it is obvious there is nothing in the world a man has more incontestable right to than his own life and person." -Arthur Schopenhauer, Essays and Aphorisms

nix
I know that dying so that others may be saved is not really considered suicide in Christianity. Afterall, Jesus died for that exact reason.

though it is obvious there is nothing in the world a man has more incontestable right to than his own life and person.
As far as i know, Christians (im not sure about other religions) believe that God has "lent" them their lives, it is our responsibility to take care of it. Suicide is considered wrong because we are taking away something that doesn't belong to us (it is not our life to take).

This is all the more striking in that neither in the Old nor in the New Testament is there to be found any prohibition or even dissapproval of it;
I have heard that the reaon why Judas ( the man who betrayed Jesus) is condemmed is not because of the betrayal but because he committed suicide...

"S. Matthew tells us that when Judas saw that Jesus had been condemned, he repented of betraying him and gave the chief priests and elders the thirty pieces of silver. He acknowledge his sin, but the chief priests shrugged it off and said, "What is it to us?" Rejected, overcome with guilt and shame, full of remorse, Judas went and hanged himself. (Mt 27:3-5) His suicide is a great sadness; it diminishes the possibility of reconciliation. Jesus did not condemn Judas...But in this world, Judas condemned himself; he cut himself off from life, from God."

Suicide is wrong regardless of the circumstance when the person attempting to commit suicide fouls up.

Last edited:
My opnion on the subject.

Maybe this isn't a popular opinion, but I'm gonna say what I think. And that is, who are we to tell someone rather their life is worth living? We're not the one's facing their problems. That person alone knows how it feels and if they honestly decide it's not worth sticking around then I'd encourage them to do whatever made them feel happy, especially if it is a loved one. I personally believe in reincarnation, so it's not like their isn't another chance, maybe with a better setup. We as a society have been programmed to enforce our personal views and values on others. Suicide is not always a weak way out, sometimes it's just the logical thing from where I stand. I mean, if your born into poverty, sickness, disability (be it physical or mental), abusive or dysfunctional families, and are born to suffer, then by all means logick dictates to go ahead and take the plunge. You'll be happier in your next life when you come back without those problems. The cycle keeps going around so one can do this as many times as they'd like until they atlast reach a life their comfortable in. I know this because I've already died and I have come back after 10, maybe 15 minutes. I mean, if you love someone, would you really want that person to suffer a lifetime just to appease you, when you know that they could have a better life elsewhere as someone else?

Brent

BoulderHead
Maybe this isn't a popular opinion, but I'm gonna say what I think. And that is, who are we to tell someone rather their life is worth living? We're not the one's facing their problems.
You tell ‘em…
That person alone knows how it feels and if they honestly decide it's not worth sticking around then I'd encourage them to do whatever made them feel happy, especially if it is a loved one.
I’m not sure I’d say people consider suicide is going to make them happy, necessarily…
I personally believe in reincarnation, so it's not like their isn't another chance, maybe with a better setup.
Yes, but this is just your personal view/value…
We as a society have been programmed to enforce our personal views and values on others.
Is that what you were doing above? :smile:
Anyway, I think it runs deeper than simple societal programming (though I don’t dispute that point).
Suicide is not always a weak way out, sometimes it's just the logical thing from where I stand. I mean, if your born into poverty, sickness, disability (be it physical or mental), abusive or dysfunctional families, and are born to suffer, then by all means logick dictates to go ahead and take the plunge.
I see, you support suicide for the impoverished, hahaha! :uhh:
You'll be happier in your next life when you come back without those problems.
Not everyone shares your optimistic appraisal… :zzz:
The cycle keeps going around so one can do this as many times as they'd like until they at last reach a life their comfortable in. I know this because I've already died and I have come back after 10, maybe 15 minutes.
Well, congratulations are in order ! :wink:
I mean, if you love someone, would you really want that person to suffer a lifetime just to appease you, when you know that they could have a better life elsewhere as someone else?
Careful now, you look to be imposing your beliefs onto everyone else.

PS
Welcome to PF !!

nix
Quote:
The cycle keeps going around so one can do this as many times as they'd like until they at last reach a life their comfortable in. I know this because I've already died and I have come back after 10, maybe 15 minutes.

(forgot how to quote something.. :cry: )

Thats very interesting Stranger 13, would you care to explain

and what if (since im sure most people reading this have not yet died and just may not believe your beliefs) reincarnation is not true and the life we get is the only one we receive...would you still encourage people to commit suicide if they were unhappy...and if reincarnation did actually exist and people did remember dying then it would be a pretty ridiculous society ...people would be killing themselves at the first sign of trouble because they can be reincarnated into a better life and if the next isnt better, they could just try the next...etc. (noone would ever be satisfied) :uhh:

you also have to realize that many people often go through depressing stages in their lives..maybe not to the extent of suicide but some do..and they get through it with SUPPORT from friends and family and live happy satisfying lives and look back on their suicidal thoughts as crazy.. :eek:

however, i have been fortunate enough to have a generally good life so maybe im lacking perspective, but i still belive (and this is my belief) suicide is not a way out of your problems...people just would never learn to deal with their problems and grow as a person if they could just die and get a better life..

"greatness is not measured by where you get to but by the obstacles you overcome" :smile:

Seriously if you'd feel better off taking the pill than drowning or whatever naturally you'd take it. If you feel that you'll betray God by doing so well then the drowning part is certainly better.
If you believe that God frowns upon suiciding then thou shall not conduct such actions.

I myself would always take my life if I knew that I'd be better off than living.