Is the Change of Basis Matrix in My Book Wrong?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 3K views
Mmmm
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

I have posted this problem on another website (mathhelpforum) but have received no replies. I don't know whether this is because no one knows what I am talking about or if it's just that no one can find a fault with my reasoning. Please please please could you post a reply even if it's just to say "Looks ok to me, but what would I know?" as there is the (remote) possibility that the book is wrong here and it'd really do me good to know this - the more replies saying it looks ok the happier I'll be. It's playing havok with my confidence.

My book (Tensor Geometry - Poston & Dodson) says the following:

If [itex]\beta = (b_1,..., b_n)[/itex] is a basis for X, and [itex]A : X \rightarrow Y[/itex] is an isomorphism, then [itex]A\beta = (Ab_1,..., Ab_n)[/itex] is a basis for Y.
If [itex]\beta[/itex] is a basis for X and [itex]A : X \rightarrow X[/itex] is an isomorphism, the change of basis matrix [itex]<i>_\beta^{A\beta}</i>[/itex] is exactly the matrix [itex]([A]_\beta^\beta)^{-1}[/itex].


I just can't seem to agree with this result!

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



After hours of tearing my hair out I have come up with the following argument...

For some basis [itex]\beta[/itex], some vector [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] and its representation [itex]x^\beta[/itex] in the [itex]\beta[/itex] coords.

[tex]\beta x^\beta=\mathbf{x}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow x^\beta=\beta^{-1}\mathbf{x}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{\beta'} x^\beta=<i>_\beta^{\beta'} \beta^{-1}\mathbf{x}</i></i>[/tex]

for some other basis [itex]\beta'[/itex] where [itex]<i>_\beta^{\beta'} </i>[/itex] is the change of basis matrix from [itex]\beta[/itex] to [itex]\beta'[/itex] coordinates. so

[tex]<i>_\beta^{\beta'} x^\beta=<i>_\beta^{\beta'} \beta^{-1}\mathbf{x}= x^{\beta'}</i></i>[/tex] --(*)

We also know the coordinates of [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] in the [itex]\beta'[/itex] coords using the [itex]\beta'[/itex] basis:

[tex]\beta' x^{\beta'}=\mathbf{x}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow x^{\beta'}=\beta'^{-1}\mathbf{x}[/tex] --(**)

(*) and (**) combine to give

[tex]<i>_\beta^{\beta'} \beta^{-1}\mathbf{x}=\beta'^{-1}\mathbf{x}</i>[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{\beta'} \beta^{-1}=\beta'^{-1} </i>[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{\beta'}=\beta'^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]

This seems like a nice neat result to me, but if [itex]\beta'=A\beta[/itex] as it is in the book, we have

[tex]<i>_\beta^{\beta'}=\beta'^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{A \beta}=(A\beta)^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{A \beta}=\beta^{-1}A^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]
[tex]\not=A^{-1}[/tex]

However, if [itex]\beta'=\beta A[/itex]
[tex]<i>_\beta^{\beta A}=\beta'^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{\beta A}=(\beta A)^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow <i>_\beta^{\beta A}=A^{-1}\beta^{-1}\beta</i>[/tex]
[tex]=A^{-1}[/tex]

which is the required result...

I have tried some basic examples with actual numbers and the results support what I have here... Unless I have some fundamental misunderstanding of all this and what it is supposed to mean, which is quite possible...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It id a linear isomorphism isn't it? Seems really basic and straightforward I must say.
 
Outlined said:
It id a linear isomorphism isn't it? Seems really basic and straightforward I must say.
Yes, it's linear. So you would say I'm right then?
or are you saying it's straightforward to get the required result?
 
I did not check your #3 point but you can easily check it is a basis by definition:

A basis B of a vector space V over a field F is a linearly independent subset of V that spans (or generates) V.

Would this help you?
 
Outlined said:
I did not check your #3 point but you can easily check it is a basis by definition:

A basis B of a vector space V over a field F is a linearly independent subset of V that spans (or generates) V.

Would this help you?

I know [itex]A\beta[/itex] is definitely a basis, the question is whether the identity map between the two bases is equal to [itex]A^{-1}[/itex].
ie does [itex]A^{-1}\mathbf{x^{\beta}}=\mathbf{x^{A\beta}}[/itex]
My reasoning says it should be [itex]A^{-1}\mathbf{x^{\beta}}=\mathbf{x^{\beta A}}[/itex]

notation: [itex]\mathbf{x^{\beta}}[/itex] meaning the vector [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] under the [itex]\beta[/itex] basis
[itex]\mathbf{x^{A\beta}}[/itex] meaning the vector [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] under the [itex]A\beta[/itex] basis
 
Th identity map is just a function which leaves the input unchanged.
 
Outlined said:
Th identity map is just a function which leaves the input unchanged.

In this case I am changing bases, so the identity map leaves the vector unchanged but changes the components...if you see what i mean...
I'm beginning to get the feeling that the terminology used in this book isn't standard!
 
In that case it comes down to looking at the (easy) equation

[b1 b2 ... bn]x = [Ab1 Ab2 ... Abn]y = A[b1 b2 ... bn]y

Here [ ] is a matrix with elements inside as columns
By multiplying with A or A-1 you can get your vector in the coordinate representation you want.
 
Outlined said:
In that case it comes down to looking at the (easy) equation

[b1 b2 ... bn]x = [Ab1 Ab2 ... Abn]y = A[b1 b2 ... bn]y

Here [ ] is a matrix with elements inside as columns
By multiplying with A or A-1 you can get your vector in the coordinate representation you want.

Right! which is what I did and got
[tex] \text{conversion matrix from }\beta \text{ to } A\beta=\beta^{-1}A^{-1}\beta[/tex]
rather than the [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] which the book claims. Am I right?
 
y = [b1 b2 ... bn]-1A-1[b1 b2 ... bn]x

I think you are right indeed. But maybe the book is talking about [b1 b2 ... bn]x while you are about x, which is a difference. Look carefully at what the book means.
 
so using your notation:
[b1 b2 ... bn]x = [Ab1 Ab2 ... Abn]y = A[b1 b2 ... bn]y

where x is in [itex]\beta[/itex] coords and y is in [itex]A \beta[/itex] coords

taking the first and last of these equalities:

[tex][b_1 b_2 ... b_n]x = A[b_1 b_2 ... b_n]y[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow A^{-1}[b_1 b_2 ... b_n]x = [b_1 b_2 ... b_n]y[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow [b_1 b_2 ... b_n]^{-1}A^{-1}[b_1 b_2 ... b_n]x = y[/tex]
 
I edited my post, please read again. I think you as well as the book are right but your are talking about slightly different things.
 
Outlined said:
y = [b1 b2 ... bn]-1A-1[b1 b2 ... bn]x

I think you are right indeed. But maybe the book is talking about [b1 b2 ... bn]x while you are about x, which is a difference. Look carefully at what the book means.

but even then you would have the matrix being [b1 b2 ... bn]-1A-1
 
Outlined said:
In that case it comes down to looking at the (easy) equation

[b1 b2 ... bn]x = [Ab1 Ab2 ... Abn]y = A[b1 b2 ... bn]y

Here [ ] is a matrix with elements inside as columns
By multiplying with A or A-1 you can get your vector in the coordinate representation you want.

OK... but
[b1 b2 ... bn]x = A[b1 b2 ... bn]y

multiplying by A-1 gives A-1[b1 b2 ... bn]x = [b1 b2 ... bn]y

but [b1 b2 ... bn]y is meaningless right? it's the components in Ab paired with the b basis!
 
Last edited:
It seems that you fully understand what is going on, I wouldn't worry about a possible mistake in the book and just work on some exercises. May you have a problem with one of those exercises you can always come back here.

btw: From your opening post I see you write something like [tex](A^{\beta}_{\beta})^{-1}[/tex] (quote from the book) so that is something like what you say. Again: most important point is that you do understand what is going on and in that case you are fine.
 
Last edited:
Outlined said:
It seems that you fully understand what is going on, I wouldn't worry about a possible mistake in the book and just work on some exercises. May you have a problem with one of those exercises you can always come back here.

btw: From your opening post I see you write something like [tex](A^{\beta}_{\beta})^{-1}[/tex] (quote from the book) so that is something like what you say. Again: most important point is that you do understand what is going on and in that case you are fine.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Did you notice that in my first post I mentioned that if you choose the second basis as [itex]\beta A[/itex] rather than [itex]A\beta[/itex] then you get the desired result?

[tex]\begin{aligned}<br /> & \beta x=(\beta A)y\\<br /> \Rightarrow & A^{-1}\beta^{-1}\beta x=y\\<br /> \Rightarrow & A^{-1}x=y\end{aligned}[/tex]Unfortunately the basis [itex]\beta A[/itex] isn't as nice geometrically as [itex]A\beta[/itex].
[itex]A\beta[/itex] is the image of [itex]\beta[/itex] under A (which turns out to be a basis for the image of A). Whereas what is [itex]\beta A[/itex]? The vectors that A represents in the basis [itex]\beta$[/itex]? (yuk!) (I'm not even sure if this is a basis for the image of A...Probably not...)

I sort of hoped that the nice geometrical object would have the nice Identity map. I suppose I really wanted to be wrong!
 
Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I've figured it out...

At last...

My mistake was in thinking that [itex]A=\left[A\right]_{\beta}^{\beta}[/itex].

The map [itex]A:X\rightarrow X[/itex] maps a vector in the vector space X to a new vector in X.

Wheras [itex]\left[A\right]_{\beta}^{\beta}[/itex] maps the components of a vector in the [itex]\beta[/itex] basis to new components in the [itex]\beta[/itex] basis.

The result is the same but the maps are different.

You can do the map [itex]\left[A\right]_{\beta}^{\beta}[/itex] in terms of [itex]A[/itex] by first converting components into a vector ([itex]\beta(x^{\beta})[/itex]), then applying A ([itex]A(\beta x^{\beta})[/itex]) and then converting back into components ([itex]\beta^{-1}(A\beta x^{\beta})[/itex]).

ie

[tex]\left[A\right]_{\beta}^{\beta}=\beta^{-1}A\beta[/tex]

My result in my first post was [itex]\left[I\right]_{\beta}^{A\beta}=\beta^{-1}A^{-1}\beta[/itex] which completely confused me (I was expecting [itex]\left[I\right]_{\beta}^{A\beta}=A^{-1}[/itex])

But now I can take this further

[tex]\begin{aligned}<br /> \left[I\right]_{\beta}^{A\beta} & =\beta^{-1}A^{-1}\beta\\<br /> & =(A\beta)^{-1}\beta\\<br /> & =(\beta^{-1}A\beta)^{-1}\\<br /> & =(\left[A\right]_{\beta}^{\beta})^{-1}\end{aligned}[/tex]


Hoorah... What a great feeling.

I am finally feeling at one with my book again...