Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the Federer-Stopper Finally Here?

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    Wow, what a match it was today! Nadal goes out in straight sets. You know, had this not happened, I would have wanted Djokovic to beat Federer and then beat Nadal in the finals (Hey, everyone has a right to dream!), but after today's match, I want Federer to be beaten in the finals.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2
    I still want to see Federer beat Sampras' 14 Grand Slams record. After that, we'll see. I don't wish for Federer's demise; he has by far the most elegant game, by virtue of his one-handed back-hand.

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll stick my head out, and predict that Djokovic's going to beat Federer.
    Tsonga was amazing. I never knew he was this good!

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4
    No one really wants Federer's demise, at least I don't want that to happen, and there's a lot of time for Federer to pass Sampras. But it's getting a bit too monotonous. All that remains to be seen is Federer win in Paris.

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    Nadal's hand on Paris is too strong I'm afraid. He got out of a Championship point and won the match! The only way I see it happening is if Nadal gets injured and is incapable of competing.

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6
    Sampras>> Federer in his prime.

The competition Fed has to face is a complete joke compared to the competition during the reign of Sampras.

8. Jan 25, 2008 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Djokovic is 2 sets up. I don't think even Rog can come back and win this now.

9. Jan 25, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Still, it is a terrific match. Djokovic is playing out of his mind.

Now if only he can shorten that ball-bouncing routine before he serves.....

Zz.

10. Jan 25, 2008 #9

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, terrific match. Federer has finally stepped it up. He should have taken those set points though ...

And it's over. Djokovic was amazing. Can't wait for the final!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. Jan 25, 2008 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The Djokeman won!!!

Zz.

12. Jan 25, 2008 #11
    This is too good to be true!

No.1 and 2 beaten in straight sets...what's next? Evidence for string theory?!

13. Jan 25, 2008 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Careful! You could get banned for claiming that!

:)

I am looking forward to the final. It it were Federer again, I probably wouldn't see it because it would almost be automatic. But now, there's a lot of unknown. Would Tsonga be overwhelmed by the occasion and not be able to maintain his unbelievable play this past week? Or will Djokovic have a letdown after beating Federer? I hope they both bring their A-game to the final.

Zz.

14. Jan 25, 2008 #13
    As I said in a previous post, a "David v Goliath" match (with David winning, of course. :biggrin:) would have been great to watch, but this final is even more refreshing.

15. Jan 27, 2008 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The Djokester Wins!!!!

And I think this will not be one of those one-grand-slam thing. He has the game, and the "tempestuousness" to be a champion. Now we have a 3-way rivalry between Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic. It's going to be an interesting tennis season!

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?