Finally Here: Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak

• Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the idea of having a science fiction department in schools and the discussion turns towards a recent article about an "invisibility cloak" invention. However, one person points out that the technology is not actually invisible as the person wearing it can still be seen in the picture. The conversation also includes links to articles and videos related to the topic.
0TheSwerve0
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/01/25/capofdarkness.shtml [Broken]

Now can we please have a sci-fi dept in schools?:tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also check out the articles linked below this one.

0TheSwerve0 said:
Now can we please have a sci-fi dept in schools?:tongue2:
There already is a sci-fi studies at my school

My guess would be that's in the psychology department, though...

How about a course in "hoaxes and crackpottery"...?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this site is as funny as hell :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (looked at the other "news")

these are real photos, but the weird thing is - the photo you got on that mosnews site is courtesy of ©Tachi Laboratory, the University of Tokyo... :biggrin:

howstuffworks got an explanation of this tech:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak3.htm

to sum it up - the "invisibility cloak" requires you to stand infront of a half-mirror, while a camera connected to a computer is behind you, so that the image of the background is projected on your cloak...

news sites are full of cr*p.

here's the original "invention" form 2003 http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/projects/MEDIA/xv/oc.html [Broken]
and some videos of it: http://www.thegreenhead.com/technology/2004/05/japanese-scientist-invents.php [Broken]

and to end this post i'd add: "Its true, the guy driving the floating car was wearing one".

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
My guess would be that's in the psychology department, though...
I would have guessed an English department.

Of course, the article fails to notice the obvious...we can still see the guy in the picture! :rofl:

i woulda guess it would be a interdisplinary programme with psych/phys/philo as the backbone.

1. What is the technology behind the invisibility cloak?

The invisibility cloak is made from a special type of fabric called "metamaterial". This fabric is made up of tiny structures that can bend light around an object, making it appear invisible.

2. Can the invisibility cloak make anything completely invisible?

While the invisibility cloak can make objects appear invisible to the human eye, it cannot hide the object from other forms of detection, such as thermal or x-ray imaging.

3. How does the invisibility cloak work?

The invisibility cloak works by manipulating the path of light around an object, creating the illusion of invisibility. This is possible due to the unique structure of the metamaterial fabric.

4. Are there any limitations to the invisibility cloak?

One limitation of the invisibility cloak is that it can only work on objects that are smaller than the wavelength of the light being bent. This means that it may not work on larger objects or in certain lighting conditions.

5. Is the invisibility cloak currently available for purchase?

While there have been advancements in creating real-life invisibility cloaks, they are not yet available for purchase. Most of the current technology is still in the research and development stage.