Is the first question worked right and any hints on the second please

• Thread starter electricsound
  • Start date
In summary, the helicopter's rotating blade imparts a downward velocity of 12 ms^-1 to the air displaced, resulting in a mass of 940 kg. When the speed of rotation is increased to create a downward velocity of 13 ms^-1, the upward acceleration of the helicopter is 1.7 ms^-2. However, when calculating the acceleration, it is important to take into account the difference between the forces compensating gravity at the different air velocities.
electricsound
1. The rotating blade of a hovering helicopter sweeps out an area of radius 4m imparting a downward velocity of 12ms^-1 to the air displaced. Find the mass of the helicopter.
(g=10ms^-2, density of air= 1.3 kgm^-3)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=d/dt(mv)
F= (density of air*volume)*12
= 1.3*pie*16*12*12
=9409N
mass of helicopter= 940kg (the answers matched, but is it worked correct?)

2. The speed of rotation of the blades of the helicopter in question 1 is increased so that the air now hasa downward velocity of 13ms^-1. Find the upward acceleration of the helicopter.
attempt at the solution
F=mv
11043N=1.3(pie*16*13*13
F=ma
11043N=940*a

11043/940=a

Actual answer= 1.7ms^-2

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part looks right, but in the second part remember that the 12 m/s air velocity just held the helicopter stationary. So to calculate the acceleration, you need to calculate the difference between the force that held the helicopter stationary (12 m/s air) and the increased air velocity (13 m/s air.). You calculated the entire force from the 13 m/s air and forgot to subtract off that part of the force which is compensating gravity.

1. Is the first question worked right?

It is difficult to answer this question without knowing the specific context of the first question. However, if you are unsure if your first question is clear or properly worded, it may be helpful to ask a colleague or friend for their feedback before submitting it.

2. Any hints on the second question?

Again, it is difficult to provide hints without knowing the specific context of the second question. However, some general tips for formulating effective questions include being clear and concise, avoiding ambiguous language, and providing enough context for the reader to understand the question.

3. How can I improve the wording of my questions?

One way to improve the wording of your questions is to read them out loud and see if they make sense and are easy to understand. You can also ask for feedback from others and make adjustments based on their suggestions. Additionally, try to use simple and direct language and avoid technical jargon if possible.

4. Is there a specific format for asking questions in scientific research?

While there is no one specific format for asking questions in scientific research, it is important to be clear, concise, and specific in your questioning. It can also be helpful to provide background information and context for your question to ensure that readers understand the purpose and relevance of the question.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about my research question?

If you are unsure about your research question, it may be helpful to discuss it with your mentor, colleagues, or other experts in your field. They may be able to provide valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement. It is also important to do thorough research and background reading to ensure that your question is novel and relevant to the field of study.