Is the narrator of Slaughter-House-Five Kurt Vonnegut himself?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
wasteofo2
Messages
477
Reaction score
2
I just started reading the book, and I can't figure out if the narrator of the story is supposed to be Kurt Vonnegut or not. I mean, there are a lot of times authors will narrate their own books and interject into the stories (like saying "but I digress", or "I'll tell you about him some other time), and I can't figure out if Vonnegut was actually in WWII and talking about his actual experiences, or the little "This is mostly real" disclaimer in the beginning of the book is supposed to be the fictional protagonist conversing with the reader.

Thanks,
Jacob
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a point in that book where the narrator is telling the anecdote of one soldier who had the runs while sitting on the latrine. He quotes the soldier (something like) "I think I'm going to s*** my brains out." and then later, "There they go!" and then the book says:

"That was me. That was I. That was the author of this book."

A lot of people point out that this was KV jumping into the book, pointing out that the narrator was someone else who was telling the story about a group of soldiers, one of whom was KV.
 
Yep slaughterhouse five is semi-autobiographical (only the parts about aliens tho').